Why become a member? ×

Ashdown or Ampeg?

Duncbass

[quote name='bassix' timestamp='1444670933' post='2884972']
I had the volume maxed and the input at 3 O'Clock with the "Shape" button unpressed to get heard against a guitarist and drummer.
[/quote]

This is a major point about the shape button. It's basically like a contour control in that it'll cut your mids and boost lows and highs, i.e. give a scooped sound. BUT, (on my ABM EVO II at least), THE SHAPE IS ACTIVE WHEN THE BUTTON IS OUT, NOT IN. This is counter-intuitive of course, but with this amp at least, if you want to be heard live the Shape button should be IN to provide NO scoop. Perhaps this is why so many people claim they have problems with Ashdown amps and why they're seen as 'woolly' or 'muddy'? Possibly, as the default position of the Shape button provides a scooped sound. To be quite clear, if you want an unscooped sound with an ABM the Shape button should be IN. Then the EQ section works as it should.

Edited by discreet

Someone's selling an Ampeg SVT210HE on this forum for £175. Awesome cab and surprisingly sensitive. Recommended.

Perhaps also you should consider the new Fender Rumble range? Good value and sound great! I've been using my Rumble 100 combo for a few months in pubs and it's never let me down.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1445161130' post='2889144']

And to take the Shape 'out' on an ABM, the Shape button should be 'in'. ;)
[/quote]

Yes. Damn it's confusible :D Thankfully the Rootmaster heads have it round the other way - button in = shape in. So I have an outey button.....

Edited by Merton

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1445159910' post='2889135']
This is a major point about the shape button. It's basically like a contour control in that it'll cut your mids and boost lows and highs, i.e. give a scooped sound. BUT, (on my ABM EVO II at least), THE SHAPE IS ACTIVE WHEN THE BUTTON IS OUT, NOT IN. This is counter-intuitive of course, but with this amp at least, if you want to be heard live the Shape button should be IN to provide NO scoop. Perhaps this is why so many people claim they have problems with Ashdown amps and why they're seen as 'woolly' or 'muddy'? Possibly, as the default position of the Shape button provides a scooped sound. To be quite clear, if you want an unscooped sound with an ABM the Shape button should be IN. Then the EQ section works as it should.
[/quote]

That is good to know, I tend to trust my ears when setting up but this should help with getting to grips with the amp I've bought as a replacement.. An ABM 500 Evo III, I'm excited!

[quote name='bassix' timestamp='1445165178' post='2889182']
That is good to know, I tend to trust my ears when setting up but this should help with getting to grips with the amp I've bought as a replacement.. An ABM 500 Evo III, I'm excited!
[/quote]

Ear-trust should be the bottom line, of course. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the ABM500 Evo III, though - mine's an Evo II, so doesn't have the Compressor. Please let us know the situation with the Shape button on the Evo III... it's likely the same as the Evo II, but you never know.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='bassix' timestamp='1444670933' post='2884972']
Thanks for the information, when I tried in the shop the staff said that it could be pushed more than other gear at the input to maybe 1-2 O'Clock which I duly did at practice. I had the volume maxed and the input at 3 O'Clock with the "Shape" button unpressed to get heard against a guitarist and drummer.

Admittedly this was at 8 Ohm so I wasn't getting full welly from the amp but I thought (perhaps incorrectly) pushing it any further would be unwise for the long-term health of the amp. Perhaps this is an educational issue but to be fair I like to have headroom to move into if required and there wasn't that at 8ohm.
[/quote]

You didn't have enough headroom because you didn't have the input up high enough and subsequently not enough signal to the power amp...

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1445350899' post='2890793']
You didn't have enough headroom because you didn't have the input up high enough and subsequently not enough signal to the power amp...
[/quote]

Quite, one shouldn't be afraid of maxing out the input gain, no damage can be done. I really need it up at 3 o'clock with my passive P-Bass to get a decent signal. And one needs a decent signal to give the amp something to work with! :)

I think the general misunderstanding about the Input Gain question, added to the confusion over the Shape button, is what leads people to get entirely the wrong impression of Ashdown amps. Or the ABM at least, which is what I have direct experience of.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1445350899' post='2890793']
[/quote]

Good to know anyway, is the same true of the ABM Evo III?

People are weird. Some people on here have rejected amps because to get the sound they wanted, they had to have X control in a position other than 12 o'clock!

EDIT: Sorry, that wasn't supposed to sound as harsh as it did! My point was just that people shouldn't be afraid to use the controls on their gear

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1445354173' post='2890844']
People are weird. Some people on here have rejected amps because to get the sound they wanted, they had to have X control in a position other than 12 o'clock!

EDIT: Sorry, that wasn't supposed to sound as harsh as it did! My point was just that people shouldn't be afraid to use the controls on their gear
[/quote]

Didn't sound harsh - sadly rang very true!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1445351877' post='2890810']
Quite, one shouldn't be afraid of maxing out the input gain, no damage can be done. I really need it up at 3 o'clock with my passive P-Bass to get a decent signal. And one needs a decent signal to give the amp something to work with! :)

I think the general misunderstanding about the Input Gain question, added to the confusion over the Shape button, is what leads people to get entirely the wrong impression of Ashdown amps. Or the ABM at least, which is what I have direct experience of.
[/quote]
Very true, I almost max the input on my JJ-500 using a passive Fender Jazz. For even more drive and added grit I use an SFX Beta pedal. I think a lot of people miss just how much the gain structure is altered by the use of the EQ and the harmonic emphasis on this particular head too.

[quote name='doctorbass' timestamp='1445425321' post='2891318']
For even more drive and added grit I use an SFX Beta pedal. I think a lot of people miss just how much the gain structure is altered by the use of the EQ and the harmonic emphasis on this particular head too.
[/quote]

Agreed - I used a VT Bass yesterday and while it's easy to get 'that' SVT sound (and then some - the VT Bass is really excellent), it is possible to get a big, round, warm yet very punchy tone without it. In fact, the more I use my ABM [i]in concert[/i], the more I think Ashdown could well be the British Ampeg and the ABM's natural 'rock' sound - in the context of a band - is second to none.

Edited by discreet