Why become a member? ×

Steve Lawson & Jonas Hellborg: Vortex Jazz Club, London. Mon 5th Oct

ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1443951945' post='2878852']
Nobody ?

Wow, I thought it would be the kind of thing at least a few BCsters would go to.
[/quote]

Solo bass is something of an anathema to most guys on here. If you need proof, look for the number of bass solo threads that pop up on here regularly. There's actually one going at the moment.

Personally I love it. For me at least I think bass is an amazing solo instrument. Unfortunately not everyone is so broad minded, and they can't get past the perceived traditional role of the bass being a part of a rhythm section.

Anyway, I'm going to see them in Birmingham tonight. I saw Steve there a couple of weeks ago, and asked him what they were going to be playing, he said they were still planning the music, so it promises to be an exciting night.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1443957239' post='2878914']
ambient, have you booked your ticket already? I find myself with a spare one. PM me if interested.
[/quote]

Thanks 😊 I got mine the day the gigs were announced ! I wouldn't miss this gig.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1443956813' post='2878909']
Solo bass is something of an anathema to most guys on here. If you need proof, look for the number of bass solo threads that pop up on here regularly. There's actually one going at the moment.
[/quote]

Is that so ?

Fair enough, each to their own. I thought I'd give it a whirl...I've seen a bit of what Steve Lawson does on video and someone as highly-regarded as Jonas Hellborg has to be worth checking out in the flesh at least once.

The venue's great as well - Mrs Pook and I have seen some really good gigs there.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1443961447' post='2878965']
Is that so ?

Fair enough, each to their own. I thought I'd give it a whirl...I've seen a bit of what Steve Lawson does on video and someone as highly-regarded as Jonas Hellborg has to be worth checking out in the flesh at least once.

The venue's great as well - Mrs Pook and I have seen some really good gigs there.
[/quote]

Quite sad really.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be an amazing night though, with some great music. I love Steve's stuff, and I like what I've heard of what Jonas has done too.

I'd have loved to have seen this, but by the time it was announced I already had tickets for Snarky Puppy on Tuesday, and getting a two day pass to abandon the Mrs with the kids isn't gonna happen. Gutted really, and I hope it's as good as imagine it will be.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1443992754' post='2879362']
Unless a few are going, but don't want to admit it.

:)
[/quote]

As a fan of Monty Python, I vaguely remember a sketch where lots of people dressed in raincoats, are furtively sneaking somewhere. I don't fully remember what the sketch was about, but maybe this is like it. Everyone dismissing watching solo bass, yet surreptitiously planning on going along, maybe even in disguise 😁.

Anyway, I saw them tonight, and it was truly amazing.

There were at least 4 BC'ers at the Brum gig. The whole room was pretty much full of bass players. At one point Steve asked if anyone in the audience played bass and nearly every hand went up!

It was a great night. Jonas is amazing(as is Steve, of course). Also great to hang out with some bass brothers and sisters ... almost as good as a bass bash, lol :rolleyes: