Why become a member? ×

Bad treatment?

roceci

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1443635073' post='2876500']
I am constantly amazed at some of the generous deals available on these boards, people generally happy to sell on gear for roughly what they paid rather
[/quote]

I completely get the concept wanting to give potential buyers a "good deal" and actually I like to do this myself, I generally price stuff that I sell very competitively to get a quick sale and a happy buyer BUT what I paid for something just doesn't enter into the equation - a "good deal" is relative to current selling prices. What I paid for something is none of buyers business, just as its none of mine when I'm buying.

Imagine that you own 2 identical or similar basses and want to sell them both, but one of them you got dirt cheap from fellow BCer - what are you going to do ? sell 2 basses for 2 different prices when theres little or no difference between them ? makes no sense whatsoever.

Edited by bassman7755

I'm happy to accept that the market place is exactly that.

I like the feel of the BC forum and there is great moral support from other bass players on all sorts of levels but that said when it comes to money that is something totally different. Nothing can ruin a friendship like money so the only way to deal in the marketplace is to be professional. Of course manners, courtesey and honesty still apply but I don't feel anyone owes it to me to give me cheap deal and if people want to use the market place to try and make a little money that is absolutely fine. I only buy at a price I find acceptable and only sell at a price the buyer finds acceptable.

I think the member selling the OP's amp on for a slightly higher price is 1) expecting to be knocked down a little and 2) looking to recoup some of the costs of spending time and effort selling a piece of kit that he only took to aid a sale. It can take weeks or even months to shift something and you have to be prepared to maintain your ad and respond to all enquiries if you're going to be successful.

Edited by mrtcat

The seller is a liar and a swindler if he actually said how much he thought the amp was worth and then tried to sell it for more.

However, if he just said how much he was prepared to pay for the amp and would try to recoup the difference when he sold it, it's a different matter.

That, I think, is it in a nutshell.

Because all trade is based on trust and if you abuse that trust and are not open, it's unlikely you will trade with that person again.

I think if you take a car to a used car salesman, you know what the score is. When you make a 'private' sale on BC, it's a different matter.

Maybe there should be something to differentiate between traders and private sellers.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1443646531' post='2876652']
All a bit passive aggressive isn't it?
You've put enough detail in so anyone reading your post can work out who you're on about but decided to moan here rather than have a word with the basschatter directly or leave feedback - poor show!
[/quote]

Now THIS is the [b]real[/b] Basschat and has been for a couple of years!
Keep the pot stirring - none of that "Community Spirit" pseudo-"Three Musketeers" BS

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1443691622' post='2876873']
The seller is a liar and a swindler if he actually said how much he thought the amp was worth and then tried to sell it for more.

However, if he just said how much he was prepared to pay for the amp and would try to recoup the difference when he sold it, it's a different matter.

That, I think, is it in a nutshell.

Because all trade is based on trust and if you abuse that trust and are not open, it's unlikely you will trade with that person again.

I think if you take a car to a used car salesman, you know what the score is. When you make a 'private' sale on BC, it's a different matter.

Maybe there should be something to differentiate between traders and private sellers.
[/quote]

+1 Surely you leave "the community" behind when you enter the For Sale section. Especially as sellers don't need to even be part of our community? I can't help being suspicious of ads from sellers with 0 posts? I understand that this may not be the case here , but just saying

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1443706970' post='2877049']
+1 Surely you leave "the community" behind when you enter the For Sale section. Especially as sellers don't need to even be part of our community? I can't help being suspicious of ads from sellers with 0 posts? I understand that this may not be the case here , but just saying
[/quote]

Many members join simply to buy and sell, if it wasn't for the marketplace the membership would be a fraction of what it is, and yes, whilst there is a sense of community even in the marketplace, it's the foundation for sure, but it's not always to be seen and it is probably naive to expect it with all members. Examples of when it's been there in shovel loads for me are when I've been sent items on spec, when I've been sent items ahead of payment, or when sellers have dealt with problems professionally at their own expense and inconvenience. There are some great folks on here, Shaggy, Clarky, Legion, Mr Bassman, Silverfoxnik, I could go on for hours, all of whom have on one or more occasions been great to deal with. Examples of when it hasn't been have been items that arrived damaged or unusable and the seller simply disappeared, buyers who haven't read details fully and have kicked up a huge fuss about tiny things (even, and I'm not joking, "I want to return the bass because the action is too low for me....", a member who gave me the wrong address resulting in courier chaos and blamed me. But hey, it's all generally been extremely positive, and the key thing is that when things do go wrong here, there's always a strong sense of community in getting them resolved, and that's probably the key thing.

Re ads from sellers with zero posts, I don't know, but through experience I'm equally wary of buyers with zero or low posts also!

[quote name='roceci' timestamp='1443709304' post='2877071']
Maybe I should have just made this a poll after all...
[/quote]

Ha ha, I wouldn't worry about it mate, you're amongst friends and perhaps it's good to air these things occasionally, it;s all swings and roundabouts with bass gear anyway :)

Like I said above, no rights or wrongs, just different values, and like tastes, there's no accounting for them!

Enjoy the bass

C

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1443709800' post='2877075']

Ha ha, I wouldn't worry about it mate, you're amongst friends and perhaps it's good to air these things occasionally, it;s all swings and roundabouts with bass gear anyway :)

Like I said above, no rights or wrongs, just different values, and like tastes, there's no accounting for them!

Enjoy the bass

C
[/quote]

Nice one 😊

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1443635846' post='2876508']
Where there's money to be made you'll always get chancers. There's quite a few 'traders' on BC who wouldn't know one end of a bass guitar or amp from another. They just buy and sell stuff to make a few quid.
[/quote] spot on traders should be banned from using the market place as they are not supposed to use it any way this is one of the reasons why I only buy from membes I know but prefer selling on eBay as there is to many time wasting pricks on BC now which is a shame

I know what you mean about feeling that it was a bit off. From the other side, I recently bought something on here, decided that I didn't like it and flipped it, but flipped it elsewhere. Whether or not I made a profit on it was of secondary importance to the fact that I didn't want the other person to know that I didn't like his/her ex-pride and joy.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1443730880' post='2877326']
Edit: Whatevs! :)
[/quote]

Good point! :lol: - though sadly in this techie age, your original response was quoted in the notification email I received. To which, I would only endorse the OP's comment...
[quote name='roceci' timestamp='1443647658' post='2876669']& if anyone's got the time & inclination to get all Columbo & put the pieces together...well I wish I had as much spare time on my hands.......[/quote]
.... because - despite accidentally leaving my "Columbo coat" on a bus 30+ years ago, I have neither the time nor inclination to either hunt out the relevant "sale item advert" nor spend any time trying to work out who the respondent was.

FWIW though, I would also agree that it was probably flipped at a price that gave the seller room to be happily knocked down in price.

FWIW MkII. Almost two years ago I sold a valve amp to a mate for £1200, the next day it was on Ebay for a BIN of £4k - which he got!! :blink: ................. However! He knew that I'd bought it at a charity auction - and the mate then donated the profits from the sale to the same charity. Now THAT [i][b]IS[/b][/i] "Community spirit".
Maybe :ph34r: this seller will do likewise :D