Why become a member? ×

Hartke Kilo dead again

artisan

once again my Kilo has died & let me down at a gig :(
i bought it from GAK in May,it did 2 gigs then died mid set on it's 3rd (only 3 weeks old),sent back for repair having a new main board fitted.
fast forward to yesterday,we set up at Leeds Harley Davidson,i switched my amp on,heard the usual click as the protection circuit does its thing,cancelled the mute button -- silence.
it was receiving a signal as the clip light was working but nothing was getting to the speaker cab so i guess the power amp is goosed.
i tried changing all leads etc' all to no avail,once again my Hartke Kilo let me down at an important gig,i'm not a happy bunny,this is the most unreliable amp' i have ever owned.

so i'll be phoning GAK at lunch time to arrange another return,luckily i kept the box as i haven't trusted it since it's first failure.
what i would like them to do is either send me a Hartke LH1000 & credit me the difference
or send me something else,i need lots of power for my double bass any suggestions ?
i was thinking along the lines of a Gallien Krueger RB1001 ?

wish me luck
cheers

Edited by artisan

I could be talking total balderdash here, but I had an unreliable output from my amp too, until I found out it was the lead. The speakon plug had to be twisted slightly i in the socket.

Just thought it might be worth mentioning that it's worth looking at all angles.

I feel your pain, I had horrendous issues with my Kilo last year. It died suddenly like yours mid gig so I sent it off to Dawsons music where I'd bought it. Two weeks later I'd heard nothing so after chasing like crazy it turned out they hadn't even sent it for repair yet (they have to go to Korg for repair) I blew my lid on here and luckily a chap called Gareth who works for Hartke saw my post and intervened. It finally got fixed and returned (turns out I live less then 10 miles from where it was fixed in milton keynes). Two gigs later in the middle of a wedding it died again..GRRR. I contacted Gareth again but he didn't respond to any of my messages so I had to arrange to drive the amp to Korg again for a repair. It took two weeks and loads of calls before I could pick it up again. When I got it home I found they had damaged the front of the amp. I was beside myself with anger. I phoned them and they agreed to put a new front on it. By this point I had done lots of trawling online and it seems there are loads of reports of these failing and Hartke were well aware of there being an issue. I therefore tried Gareth at Hartke again but no joy so I directly messaged Larry Hartke and again nothing. Before I had a chance to send it back for the face repair it died again. That was the last straw. I binned it and have vowed never ever ever to get involved with Hartke gear again.

Edited by mrtcat

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1443438146' post='2874596']
I feel your pain, I had horrendous issues with my Kilo last year. It died suddenly like yours mid gig so I sent it off to Dawsons music where I'd bought it. Two weeks later I'd heard nothing so after chasing like crazy it turned out they hadn't even sent it for repair yet (they have to go to Korg for repair) I blew my lid on here and luckily a chap called Gareth who works for Hartke saw my post and intervened. It finally got sent away, fixed and returned (turns out I live less then 10 miles from where it was fixed in milton keynes). Two gigs later in the middle of a wedding it died again..GRRR. I contacted Gareth again but he didn't respond to any of my messages so I had to arrange to drive the amp to Korg again for a repair. It took two weeks and loads of calls before I could pick it up again. When I got it home I found they had damaged the front of the amp. I was beside myself with anger. I phoned them and they agreed to put a new front on it. By this point I had done lots of trawling online and it seems there are loads of reports of these failing and Hartke were well aware of there being an issue. I therefore tried Gareth at Hartke again but no joy so I directly messaged Larry Hartke and again nothing. Before I had a chance to send it back for the face repair it died again. That was the last straw. I binned it and have vowed never ever ever to get involved with Hartke gear again.
[/quote]

Wow.. that's a shocker. I thought Hartke CS was better than that.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1443438418' post='2874602']
Wow.. that's a shocker. I thought Hartke CS was better than that.
[/quote]

I was gobsmacked by how bad the whole situation was. I was most annoyed that this was actually a recognised problem with the Kilo across the world and that they were refusing to talk to me about it. The engineer at Korg said that they had been dealing with literally hundreds of them and many kept coming back. I was in PMT a few weeks back and they were selling of a whole load of used Kilos. The lad there said they were all repaired ones.

My two threads on it are here:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/235977-hartke-kilo-tearing-my-hair-out/page__p__2498021__hl__kilo__fromsearch__1#entry2498021

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/229792-retailer-issues-really-hacked-off-now/page__hl__kilo__st__30

Edited by mrtcat

The first time round you were entitled to your money back or a replacement. They had no legal right to insist on it being repaired.

Having accepted a repair, I believe you now don't have a right to a replacement or refund, but if I were you that's what I'd be going for .

Good luck!!

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1443434579' post='2874554']

...so i'll be phoning GAK at lunch time to arrange another return,luckily i kept the box as i haven't trusted it since it's first failure....

wish me luck
cheers
[/quote]

You don't need the original box if the gear fails. You're returning faulty gear, you're not selling it back to them. If a seller insists on a box if you're returning faulty stuff, then they're only using it to fob you off.

Edited by Grangur