Why become a member? ×

RickenFakers

Happy Jack

[quote name='Bassassin' post='995741' date='Oct 21 2010, 11:34 AM']For them what missed it - it was a bolt-neck Faker in Fireglo, with a Rick TRC. Only one not-very-good pic but I'd say it was a Hondo with swapped tuners & no bridge pickup.

J.[/quote]

And a lovely description stating that it was a Ricky, all original except for the treble pickup which he had removed.

I didn't spot the bolt-neck, I must admit.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='995773' date='Oct 21 2010, 11:54 AM']And a lovely description stating that it was a Ricky, all original except for the treble pickup which he had removed.

I didn't spot the bolt-neck, I must admit.[/quote]
Skunk-stripe on the headstock but not on the body, plus binding all the way around the body. An elementary deduction, my dear Wotname. :)

J.

Another Bullsh!tbacker, this time apparently a [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Rickenbacker-4001-fireglow-/250715468785"]"Rickenbacker 4001 not sure how old at least early 70s possibly 60s"[/url]. Quite.

No idea what it really is (if you're quick enough to see the pics before it's pulled, you'll understand why!) but it looks like a Fireglo 4001S copy with a changed bridge. Would likely fetch a few bob, but not quite the £1200 BIN that Chummy wants. :)

J.

Ricky copy!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RICKENBACKER-4001S-COPY-/160497172999?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item255e608207"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RICKENBACKER-4001S-C...=item255e608207[/url]

[quote name='2x18' post='997901' date='Oct 23 2010, 11:28 AM']Ricky copy!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RICKENBACKER-4001S-COPY-/160497172999?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item255e608207"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RICKENBACKER-4001S-C...=item255e608207[/url][/quote]

Looks like Nick's Maya that he used to have, except more worn in. Nice tail lift too. Work on a replacement is ongoing.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='991780' date='Oct 17 2010, 11:13 PM']It certainly has. :)

One day, Tino, one day... :lol:

J.[/quote]
with an out of auction offer of £500 + postage if it does not sell on ebay it may well be winging its way to an ibby collector in the US.....youd think with 97 watching some one would have had a go at it...
finger and toes crossed :)

Now here's a real horror:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-SPARE-GUITAR-PARTS-L-K-SPARE-/250712693919?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3a5fa41c9f"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR...=item3a5fa41c9f[/url]

:)

[quote name='tino' post='998666' date='Oct 24 2010, 10:27 AM']with an out of auction offer of £500 + postage if it does not sell on ebay it may well be winging its way to an ibby collector in the US.....youd think with 97 watching some one would have had a go at it...
finger and toes crossed :)[/quote]
Someone might well jump in at the last second - if you get two or more there might be a nice little scrap over it. :lol:

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='998717' date='Oct 24 2010, 11:46 AM']Someone might well jump in at the last second - if you get two or more there might be a nice little scrap over it. :lol:

J.[/quote]
Anything sensible I ever put on usually sells but without to many bids.....however every piece of junk has gone mental,in order to create more interest I shall be listing all my items as crap from today :)

[quote name='Bassassin' post='998717' date='Oct 24 2010, 11:46 AM']Someone might well jump in at the last second - if you get two or more there might be a nice little scrap over it. :)

J.[/quote]
Sold for £550 on the bay.....to a dealer 15 minutes up the road from me>>>>>>aint life strange.....Right now to turn this money into a mosrite :lol:

Here's a no-brand project (might be a Kasuga bolt-neck but that's a wild guess) with some of the strangest mods I've seen on this or any other bass:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180578699320"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=180578699320[/url]

What the hell would that sound like?

J.

Probably like two different basses being played badly, I'm thinking in the style of The Shaggs. Bet you could buy it, whip off the stupid bits and get a really good price for it, if it doesn't manage on its own. I'll have a bunch of spares if anyone wants to sort it out.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140469853562"]Not the Ibanez he wants it to be[/url] - which is a good thing because it's made of nicer wood & has a more attractive Fireglo than most Ibbys. Don't know what this is, ones like this turn up branded as Fernandes & Fresher, it's not clear who made them. It's also possible it's a Brazilian Giannini.

I'd be a bit more worried than he is by the lacquer cracking & flaking around the neck/body join - looks to me like the body wings are de-laminating quite badly.

**UPDATE** Leaning more towards Giannini (or something else non-MIJ) now after having a good look at his pics - hardware details aren't consistent with Japan: bridge holes too squared, strange elongated strap buttons - and a "StereoSound" jackplate with a very curious Rick-type serial, to start with. Also skunk-stripe and inlays look wrong...

Oh, and this has been on before, back in November 2007. The neck joint wasn't quite as f@cked then... :)

J.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='Johnston' post='1003991' date='Oct 28 2010, 04:20 PM']I have it on good authority the Tokai link is they come from the same factory :)[/quote]
What - Tokai Gakki in Hamamatsu? Chinny reckon.

These are sod-all to do with Tokai, [b]which is why they don't say Tokai on them[/b].

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1004564' date='Oct 28 2010, 11:40 PM']What - Tokai Gakki in Hamamatsu? Chinny reckon.

These are sod-all to do with Tokai, [b]which is why they don't say Tokai on them[/b].

J.[/quote]
[b]If I purchase this item.....hence win it.....AND its not an Ibanez can I keep it and you issue a full refubd of my money,,,its all a bit chancy
[/b]
sent this challenge in ebay question on item ....waiting on reply

Will he add it to questions asked..........I doubt it :)

[quote name='tino' post='1005600' date='Oct 29 2010, 06:40 PM'][b]If I purchase this item.....hence win it.....AND its not an Ibanez can I keep it and you issue a full refubd of my money,,,its all a bit chancy
[/b]
sent this challenge in ebay question on item ....waiting on reply

Will he add it to questions asked..........I doubt it :)[/quote]
And the reply would suggest its OK to talk bollx
Here it is

Dear tino7770,

Sorry - I missed the ? that should have been in
the title after the word Ibanez, to clarify that I
didn't know what it was. If you could read (the
description), it might have dawned on you that I'm
not saying it's an Ibanez 4003 - I don't think
they made one. It is a copy of a Rickenbacker 4003
made by an unknown manufacturer. It has certain
features which led me to believe that it could
possibly be by made by the aforesaid company - but
I don't know - which is why I asked in the listing
for potential bidders to make their own mind up
what it is. Please DO NOT bid on my guitar if you
have any doubts about what you are buying. It is
not a Rickenbacker - it may be a Japanese copy of
one - I DON'T KNOW. If you think it's 'chancy' -
that's what's so good about Ebay - it's not
compulsory to bid! Thank you, Graham

- grahamtosca

Well that told me....It told me hes being liberal with the facts

Possibly Im not bidding then

Edited by tino

Even if the Rockinbetters do come from a factory that also makes Tokai branded instruments that still doesn't make them Tokais.

If Tokai wanted to release a 4001/4003 bass it would say Tokai on the TRC. I have the Tokai 2000 catalogue which shows amongst others Tokai branded versions of the 330 and 350 guitars so they have no problem making instruments the copy Rickenbacker's designs and putting the Tokai name on the TRC. However I have yet to see a 4001/4003 bass with Tokai on the TRC.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1005657' date='Oct 29 2010, 07:33 PM']Even if the Rockinbetters do come from a factory that also makes Tokai branded instruments that still doesn't make them Tokais.

If Tokai wanted to release a 4001/4003 bass it would say Tokai on the TRC. I have the Tokai 2000 catalogue which shows amongst others Tokai branded versions of the 330 and 350 guitars so they have no problem making instruments the copy Rickenbacker's designs and putting the Tokai name on the TRC. However I have yet to see a 4001/4003 bass with Tokai on the TRC.[/quote]

+1 to the above - Tokai is a fairly small manufacturer & brand (certainly compared to many other Japanese brands) and it's incredibly unlikely they own a Chinese factory, or have contracted a factory's entire output. Do a bit of searching on here and there are some very spurious and circumstantial connections between Tokai, Tokai copies (ie copies of Tokais!) and a Canadian brand called Dillion - who use, and presumably own the Rockinbetter name.

I suspect the suggestion that Rockinbetters in the UK are Tokais is a bit of baseless (and probably quite dodgy) marketing opportunism on the behalf of the UK importer & resellers.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='999589' date='Oct 25 2010, 12:41 AM']Here's a no-brand project (might be a Kasuga bolt-neck but that's a wild guess) with some of the strangest mods I've seen on this or any other bass:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180578699320"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=180578699320[/url]

What the hell would that sound like?

J.[/quote]

Hopefully I'll find out this weekend. Just spent 107 of my hard earnt pounds on this monstrosity. Will be VERY interesting to see what I've actually bought there.

[quote name='tino' post='1005639' date='Oct 29 2010, 07:15 PM']And the reply would suggest its OK to talk bollx
Here it is

Dear tino7770,

Sorry - I missed the ? that should have been in
the title after the word Ibanez, to clarify that I
didn't know what it was. If you could read (the
description), it might have dawned on you that I'm
not saying it's an Ibanez 4003 - I don't think
they made one. It is a copy of a Rickenbacker 4003
made by an unknown manufacturer. It has certain
features which led me to believe that it could
possibly be by made by the aforesaid company - but
I don't know - which is why I asked in the listing
for potential bidders to make their own mind up
what it is. Please DO NOT bid on my guitar if you
have any doubts about what you are buying. It is
not a Rickenbacker - it may be a Japanese copy of
one - I DON'T KNOW. If you think it's 'chancy' -
that's what's so good about Ebay - it's not
compulsory to bid! Thank you, Graham

- grahamtosca

Well that told me....It told me hes being liberal with the facts

Possibly Im not bidding then[/quote]
Just spoke on the phone to with the seller he comes across as a real nice fella.He was sold this as an Ibanez over 10 years ago by a guitar shop,he is revising the ad to state that he has been made aware it is probably not an Ibanez...
So I must apologise to the chap,
Had a listen to his sound clip....not bad

Edited by tino