Why become a member? ×

Classic gear, how good was it really.

Phil Starr

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1506631148' post='3380104']
One thing to remember is that at least as recently as the 90s, your rig was a significant part of FOH. A lot of old gear was built to be run hard and loud night after night and to deliver a sound that could fill a room. Most bands only put the singer in the PA. That world is largely gone and modern kit is often more of a monitor. I'm not sure we're comparing like with like a lot of the time.
[/quote]

Well said that man. Played hundreds of club and ballroom gigs in the 70s and vocals were the only thing to go through the PAs we had at the time. Played at the Rainbow Room in Newcastle, it was huge, to an audience of about 350 people. Orange amps, WEM cabs, for the whole band, and a 200 watt PA for vocals. The drummer was having to really dig in, but at one point we were asked to turn down!!!!

Must admit I fail to see the reasoning behind spending a fortune on a 1000 watt head and a couple of lightweight cabs, then use them essentially as a monitor. If the volume and tone out front are being dictated by the PA why not simply use a pre amp and a monitor? And all this at a pub gig, to less than 100 people. Not taking a pop, simply my take on bass amplification.

Maybe we are unusual in still only putting vocals through the PA and using backline amps. There again for the pubs we play in you really don't need a multi-kilowatt PA. So many landlords tell us it's refreshing that we get a great sound without taking the roof off or spending 3 hours sound checking in the Dog and Duck.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1506849865' post='3381434']
Maybe we are unusual in still only putting vocals through the PA and using backline amps. There again for the pubs we play in you really don't need a multi-kilowatt PA. So many landlords tell us it's refreshing that we get a great sound without taking the roof off or spending 3 hours sound checking in the Dog and Duck.
[/quote]
We do the same. It seems the most common way around here in pubs still. Maybe different in the big cities?

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1506678575' post='3380331']
Well said that man. Played hundreds of club and ballroom gigs in the 70s and vocals were the only thing to go through the PAs we had at the time. Played at the Rainbow Room in Newcastle, it was huge, to an audience of about 350 people. Orange amps, WEM cabs, for the whole band, and a 200 watt PA for vocals. The drummer was having to really dig in, but at one point we were asked to turn down!!!!

Must admit I fail to see the reasoning behind spending a fortune on a 1000 watt head and a couple of lightweight cabs, then use them essentially as a monitor. If the volume and tone out front are being dictated by the PA why not simply use a pre amp and a monitor? And all this at a pub gig, to less than 100 people. Not taking a pop, simply my take on bass amplification.
[/quote]

Must admit, I wonder about this all the time. Think the reason I still prefer my own amp and cab is that it's the sound
I'm used to, coming from behind me as it always has done, at a level I like, and looks like a proper stage with gear on it!
Maybe stupid I know, but still think people like to see a band's gear onstage to give it that authenticity somehow?
Over all this though, I just love the fact that I'm in control of my sound totally, whatever happens. Rest of my band have
now moved over to IEM's, leaving me the dinosaur on bass. Am hanging in there at the moment, for how long I'm not sure!

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1506852839' post='3381452']
We do the same. It seems the most common way around here in pubs still. Maybe different in the big cities?
[/quote]

Pub gigs around here then most bands do the same. Certainly those doing rock covers etc. As usual, mostly
defined by the drum sound / level onstage. If I'm depping with one, then I always make sure I take a rig with
enough level to cope with loud drummers, rather than rely on crap / non existent monitors.