Why become a member? ×

NBD - AJRGuitarmods Bubinga Fretless

Andyjr1515

Hi All

Some of you will have been following the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/259782-new-project-bubinga-fretless/"]build thread[/url] on this but, for those who don't want to trawl through the gory detail, here's my new baby.

I've always hankered after something with the same look and feel as the Thumb Fretless tribute I built for our band's bassist but wanted to steer clear of any Warwick registered design features. I'm a real Warwick fan and love some of the things they incorporate in their basses so wanted to produce something that followed some of the same concepts but was very much an AJRGuitarmods design (ie with features and ideas stolen from everyone :lol: ) .

This is the result, and - as it is built for my own use - I'm pleased (and relieved!) to say I couldn't be happier with the result :) :

Ref the spec:[list]
[*]34" Scale
[*]bubinga body; mahogany / wenge / mahogany neck; ebony fingerboard; ebony face and back plates; mother of pearly 'swifts' inlay
[*]Seymour Duncan SJB-2 pups running through STC-2p 2-band EQ
[*]Warwick hardware and tuners
[*]D'Addario Chromes
[/list]
Thanks for looking!

Andy

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1441797637' post='2861820']
Hi All

Some of you will have been following the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/259782-new-project-bubinga-fretless/"]build thread[/url] on this but, for those who don't want to trawl through the gory detail
[/quote]

But of course, since you left that link there, I HAD to read it.

Kept me occupied in the bus home... :)

Very impressive stuff

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1441828748' post='2862185']
Well, you've been busy since last week Andy.

I got my hands on this beauty last week, before the hardware was added.
Even nicer in real life.
[/quote]

Hi, Neil

Yes - I was determined to finish it this week. Still got to rout out the bridge chamber a bit more to be able to drop the action by a couple of mm, but couldn't be more pleased with it!

Andy

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1441884400' post='2862540']
That's a fantastic looking bass! Any chance of a video so we can hear it in action? I just checked out the build diary too and I have to say I am [i]very [/i]impressed with your work!
[/quote]
Trust me, you wouldn't want any video of [b]me[/b] playing it... :lol: Mind you, it's going to be winging its way over to our very own Chris S very soon for a proper going over, and he [b]can [/b]play - I'll see if we can get a clip or two

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1441884400' post='2862540']
That's a fantastic looking bass! Any chance of a video so we can hear it in action? I just checked out the build diary too and I have to say I am [i]very [/i]impressed with your work!
[/quote]
Well, after a tough negotiation with his agent (thanks Jo :) ), it has been agreed the Chris S will indeed feature in an AJRGuitarmods exclusive!

With a background of traffic noise and under the admiring gaze of a spellbound audience (ie, Chris's cat), the new bass is put through its paces.

I particularly like the bit at 1:41 where Chris says 'Oh, I like this!' :lol:

The exclusive [url="https://youtu.be/TvTWjYQ4t1A"]Youtube clip is here[/url]

Andy
(With thanks to Chris, Jo and Tiger the cat)

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1442135979' post='2864533']
This is absolutely fantastic. I've just read the build thread and it's fascinating to see this emerging from great big chunks of wood.
[/quote]

Thanks! And to all the other kind folk for their encouraging comments :)