Why become a member? ×

Percussion led instrumentals

Annoying Twit

Can anyone think of examples of tracks where the track is conventionally tonal, except that the lead line is played on a more or less non-tonal percussion instrument?

I don't mean a drum solo, because typically they are played ... solo without other instruments. I mean something where the backing track is fairly normal, but the lead line itself is on a percussion instrument.

I ask because I may have accidentally created such a track. (long story deleted). Or at least a start of a track which could go in that direction. I'd like to hear similar tracks, but can't think of any.

Hmmm.... Are Ed Mann's solo albums on Spotify? EDIT: The lead lines on his more conventional (non-gong) albums are typically tuned percussion such as xylophone.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1441475851' post='2859149']
Not sure I totally understand what you mean but would Fleetwood Macs 'Tusk' be the sort of thing you mean?
[/quote]

Good choice. It's close, but there is a vocal line too. If it had been made as an instrumental, then it would be a perfect example of what I'm looking for. And it has significant sections which are exactly what I'm looking for.

Any others?

Some of the 50s Sun Ra stuff uses percussion almost but not entirely in the way you describe, where the percussion is another voice rather than just a rhythmic backing. I can't think of any tunes where it carries the whole song, but there are elements of it in this.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5FBhGNwiTU[/media]

Edited by Beer of the Bass