Why become a member? ×

Going mad with the router ! Sub 6 pounder Part 1,

Prosebass

With the demise of Prosebass as a business (had to get a job) I can now join the ranks of "normal" Bass Chatters and show you some madness from my shed.
This bass is one of several I had made up by my Chinese associate and is a through body 5 piece mahogany / maple neck with mahogany wings.
When I weighed it it was just 5lbs so I had the idea of shaving off all the unnecessary bits and doing a lightweight build to get it under 6lbs total.
It will have twin humbuckers and a mix of passive / active electric bits.

[attachment=12879:bass02.jpg][attachment=12880:Bass01.jpg]

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='Peaty' post='276936' date='Sep 4 2008, 01:14 PM']That looks very good!

Are the pencil lines on the front marking for a scratch plate or are you just going to let that wood speak for its self?

all the best
Pete[/quote]

Hi Pete

Unfortunately my wonderful Chinese associate when he made these body/neck blanks for me as prototypes had lost his ruler that day and routed the cavities both in the wrong place , wrong size and cock-eyed... :)
As the aim of this bass is to make it as lightweight as possible (under 6lbs) I will actually be taking more wood out of the top and yes it will have a scratch plate but the lines are only an idea and not the final shape.

cheers....Paul

Heres a few more progress pictures.
The contouring was really difficult and it gonna have a "slab" type edge to the top
It will have a pick guard with cutouts a la Gibson Artiste and I'm going to french polish the top tonight.

It currently weighs 2008 grams which is 4lb 12oz in old money
I think the total weight will come in around 6lb 4oz pretty light.

[attachment=13152:IMG_1404.JPG]

[attachment=13153:IMG_1405.JPG]

[attachment=13154:IMG_1403.JPG]

[attachment=13155:IMG_1401.JPG]

[attachment=13156:IMG_1402.JPG]

[quote name='cheddatom' post='280510' date='Sep 9 2008, 04:52 PM']Very cool, I really like the contoured top. I assume that hole will have the electonics and have a covered top?[/quote]

It will, and will have a rear plate for access to the electronics or battery if I put an EQ expansion control in it.
I think the balance will be good as the neck is really thin with a short headstock.
The whole bass is about 4 inches shorter than a "Jazz"
The whole reason for building it is an exercise into weight saving to see whats possible.
The veneer on the headstock is coming off to show the laminated neck.
Can anyone tell what the inspiration for the shape is ?

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='steve-soar' post='280730' date='Sep 9 2008, 10:01 PM']Westone Thunder basses?[/quote]

Bob on there, I have a soft spot for them and had 2 (a 1A and a Spectrum LX )but sold them when I decided to have a go at this bass building mularky. Next projects will be more like a Spectrum with the "Fender" headstock as I will be using Mighty Mite freless necks, mahogany bodies and Q-Tuner pups.

The bass is at the stage of french polishing (shellac) I thought I would do a mix of finishes to see what it looked like. The rear of the bass is poly coated as is the neck for durability.
I like shellac as it leaves the beauty of the grain showing and has a sort of "antique" look , plus is easy to repair should the bass be damaged.

This has had 4 coats then its left for 24 hours, flatted and then another 4 coats ,flatted and polished.
The edge on picture gives a good idea of the different finish / color between polyurethane varnish and shellac.

[attachment=13191:IMG_1406.JPG]

[attachment=13192:IMG_1409.JPG]

[attachment=13193:IMG_1407.JPG]

The shellac is finished but I leave it 48 hours before the final cut back and polish.
Next job is the scratch plate and is highly technical.
Items required for the pattern were

1. A Cherios box....make sure its empty otherwise you get shouted at.
2. Sellotape....a one handed dispenser is always best
3. Scissors

Big decision next, either understated black or bling it with a gold mirror jobbie.

[attachment=13235:scratch__1.jpg]

[attachment=13238:scratch_mock_1.jpg]

[attachment=13239:scratch_mock_2.jpg]

As it happens , I spent 2 hours earlier making a black plate and really nice it looked until I rested the soldering iron on it........ :)
So having run out of black perspex had to spend another 2 hours making a gold one which is better.
Finished article tomorrow hopefully.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='285565' date='Sep 17 2008, 08:57 AM']Is it done?[/quote]

Well almost !

And all I will say is never again will I use mirrored perspex as a scratch-plate :)
Second attempt and I still managed to put a tiny chip in it (hardly noticeable)

Its wired , shielded, the plate is on , the finish is finished.
Just the tuners and bridge and then we'll see what it sounds like.

This has taken 4 times longer than I thought it would so its a one off and I will not be attempting it again.
I have missed my target weight of 6lb but its hardly heavy at 6lb 8oz...its quite compact as well.
Final Installment tomorrow.

[attachment=13555:LW001.jpg]

[attachment=13556:LW002.jpg]

[attachment=13557:LW003.jpg]

[quote name='budget bassist' post='286993' date='Sep 19 2008, 01:34 AM']Fair enough. Future tip to bear in mind:

Soldering iron = hot!! :huh:

I've disregarded this useful nugget of information before while being a bit careless about where i put my hands in relation to a heated up soldering iron before :)[/quote]

I have been an electrical engineer all my life and have been using soldering irons for about 37 years but still manage to burn either myself or something in close proximity every time I switch one on..... :huh:

[quote]Future Tip[/quote] good pun there .......

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='287102' date='Sep 19 2008, 10:08 AM']lol
i was once up a ladder dragging a soldering iron and extention lead up to work on something high up in a rush. if you drop the thing- dont try and catch it!

EDIT:

oh and it look super bling![/quote]

What on earth were you soldering up a ladder ? or is it a new "extreme" sport.....?