Why become a member? ×

Hatfield and the North

wombatboter

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1445366356' post='2890982']
I love National Health. Big influence on my band, Prescott, believe it or not:
[/quote]

You know, I find that very easy to believe, and it hardly comes as a surprise.
Would probably not have discovered this own my own, admittedly.
BTW, and I'm repeating myself from earlier, Prescott's a great band. IMNTHO of course.

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1445366618' post='2890984']
sTUNNING. hAVE ARMS WIDE OPEN FOR EVERYTHING THEY DID.
[/quote]

Is that a command or an admission? :)

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1445366821' post='2890986']
Calyx
[/quote]

As in:
- everybody should hear Calyx as it's a great song?
- this reminds me of Calyx?
- Calyx is a great techstep band. Everybody should listen to Calyx instead of this!
:P

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1445777361' post='2894033']
Just as a sideline, does anyone have any idea what kind of fuzz pedal RS would have used back then? I always liked his fuzz sound, just not Phil Miller's.
Trying to remember what was around then, MXR, Electroharmonix, Coloursound, Fuzzface?
Cheers
MBA
[/quote]

Hmm, good question. I know that a few of the Canterbury scene bands liked the Shaftesbury Duo Fuzz, which was the same as the Shin Ei FY6 and Univox Superfuzz, but then bits of the Rotters Club album sound like he's using some sort of fuzz/wah combo.

As an aside to the aside, I've just remembered this email from RS from an exchange I had with him in 2006 after seeing him at the Coventry Jazz Festival. I'd asked about the mods he'd made to his bass. Hope it's of interest.

"RS Fender Fretless is an ash body made by my Dad in 76. Just recently I had to change the neck as I had worn the fretboard out. It now has a Japanese Fender Fretless Jazz neck, 2005. Electrics as Jazz Fender set up with Demarzios PB and JB. Schaller bridge and machine heads, (prefer the machine quality of these to
the Fender ones), Roto Sound Jazz strings. it is strung now with my last set of JB roundwounds from my 76 to 79 period. Roto Sound supplied 90 sets durring my Camel performance period, and I only used a few then on tours, so its taken till now to exhaust this supply. The latest Roto Sound strings not so good tonally. String making is more refined now, so I will be searching and researching for a new brand that have the right tension and PING! Time for a double bass me thinks.

Other extras to Mr Leo Fenders design are an extra string retainer for the A and D string, to make the angle more acute over the nut, this gives a firm seat to the strings, (no possible vibration so strings tension better); Plate that holds neck on is larger with 6 neck bolts (makes neck solid to body to help resonance). Still struggling with the perfect string PING! from the now exhausted Demarzios, thinking of changing them to Jazz pickups made by Knuckles GB.

The bass instrument hunt goes on. Hope to set up workshop in Puglia this year.

Happy Bass ends up, Richard"