Why become a member? ×

Wow!

JJW

[url="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575090229&toolid=10001&campid=5337531593&customid=&icep_item=281773649597&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg"]http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575090229&toolid=10001&campid=5337531593&customid=&icep_item=281773649597&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg[/url]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1440239914' post='2849262']
Interesting. That has a lot in common with their version of the Karamer Duke.
[/quote]

Agreed. Hondo's Duke copy, (the Alien) didn't have an aluminium neck but had the Schaller bridge & standard tuner setup, like this one does. Can't remember if it was through-neck, though.

Never seen one of these before, somehow don't think they made it to the UK!

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1440247603' post='2849334']
Agreed. Hondo's Duke copy, (the Alien) didn't have an aluminium neck but had the Schaller bridge & standard tuner setup, like this one does. Can't remember if it was through-neck, though.

Never seen one of these before, somehow don't think they made it to the UK!

Jon.
[/quote]

Although the Hondo Alien had a bolt-on neck, at least some of them also had aluminium ones (mine did).

Indeed. I have a Duke and an Alien, and both have aluminium necks.

(Which I suppose proves only that [u]one[/u] Alien has an aluminium neck... :) - if I find time I'll dig it out and see if the neck is marked in some way, it's possible that the Alien neck has been replaced with a Duke neck :D )

I stand corrected! Although I do remember playing an Alien when they first appeared (1984-ish) - it was the cheapest headless available at the time & I was young & skint.

Pretty certain that one didn't have an aluminium neck (didn't have much else going for it either, as I recall) and I ended up getting a Hohner B2A a bit later.

J.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1440266300' post='2849485']

(Which I suppose proves only that [u]one[/u] Alien has an aluminium neck... :) - if I find time I'll dig it out and see if the neck is marked in some way, it's possible that the Alien neck has been replaced with a Duke neck :D )
[/quote]

There are at least two - I have one as well , it's an aluminium section with filling.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1440266300' post='2849485'] Indeed. I have a Duke and an Alien, and both have aluminium necks. (Which I suppose proves only that [u]one[/u] Alien has an aluminium neck... :) - if I find time I'll dig it out and see if the neck is marked in some way, it's possible that the Alien neck has been replaced with a Duke neck :D ) [/quote]

The differences between the Hondo and Kramer necks are very easy to spot once you know what to look for. All the Kramer necks had ebanol fingerboards and all the Hondo necks I've seen had Rosewood ones. In fact all the Kramer necks are exactly the same casting and construction. They just fitted a different number of frets to make the short-scale versions and sawed the heads off for The Duke and other headless models. Also the Kramer string retainer is held on by a single screw, while the Hondo version has 2 screws same as in the bass in the OP.