Why become a member? ×

Flying with bass (yes I know, it's been discussed!)

goblin

I'm off to Switzerland for a gig next weekend and naturally want to take the Infinity with me. Generally speaking I've got three cases for it. A Mono double bag, a Hiscox, and the Rockcase flight case it came with.

Has anyone any idea which one is probably more sturdy for an EasyJet hold (it's not going to be going on with me, I already know that). The Mono is out of the game so would you rather fly with the Rock Case that Warwick swear by, or a Hiscox?

I don't know what the build quality of your Rockcase is like, but the one I have for my Warwick Starbass is atrocious - and that's after I sent the first one back because it didn't close properly! Just from normal use in the band van over the last 12 months the top and bottom surfaces have become horribly scratched and 2 of the protective corners are starting to come away. If the Hiscox case fits the bass properly use that.

Easyjet actually will let you take your bass on as hand luggage if the case is a maximum of 120 cm x 37cm x 30cm. I flew to Nice and back last week with it with me with no probs..
BA will let you take it on as hand luggage in a gig bag too with no problems from my experience too..

I used to use a full flight case (weighed 15 kg loaded) and pay the extra for the hold baggage..I personally wouldn't check any instrument into the hold without a proper full flight.. i've had 2 abs skb cases destroyed on flights.

Edited by chevy-stu

And there is no 100% guarantee that you will be able to take your instrument on board as hand luggage at the moment. No matter what you may have been told in advance by the airline etc. the ultimate decision rests with the cabin crew at the time of the flight. If they decide that they aren't going to allow your bass in the cabin, you either have to put it in the hold or don't fly.

Also the Hiscox case - which is IME slightly smaller than the standard bass hard case is over the Easyjet limit at 124 x 40 x 15 cm.

That's promising then :) One of my friends is a touring bassist and he flys with a Hiscox all the time. He's seen some come back absolutely battered and with chunks missing out of them, but has always maintained that as long as the bass has remained intact (which it always has), the case has done it's job and paid for itself. Some of the cases seem to last longer than others though!