Why become a member? ×

Fender 50s Precision Bass

Hobbayne

I,m quite interested in one of these. Has anybody had any experience with them? Are the necks really chunky compared to the recent USA standards??

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/fender-50s-precision-bass-fiesta-red--40952?gclid=CjwKEAjwrpGuBRCkqeXpn-rt5hsSJAC9rxrPJzX7d_KS0ThIdmepbPo0NrEkSIdO89X9YyRoWGi51hoCVWnw_wcB"]http://www.dv247.com...Gi51hoCVWnw_wcB[/url]

Yes, chunkier (and wider) necks - felt really good when I tried one. Pickup was fine on the one I tried - it had the great full p tone.

If I was in the market for a p I'd get one of these & change the pick guard to a plastic one.

My avatar photo is a 50's classic Precision (or was) I have owned a few but only kept this one, it does have a pretty chunky neck profile but nothing excessive, mine has a beautifully rounded feel to it where it meets the fretboard, the two others I owned didn't, they had a really hard feeling edge which, I really didn't like, they were disposed of quite quickly (the black one is a first year of production bass and was the one the sales rep was demoing around the dealers so whether these is anything special in that neck profile, I don't know)

I junked the pick up a good few years ago and replaced it with a Lindy Fralin one which is much nicer, I always hated the reverse tuners as they were really stiff and never got any easier, they have been junked and replaced with a set of Grover's, the 50's style bridge saddles kept lowering themselves mid gig so that has been replaced with a Gotoh unit, I also changed the pick guard to a black one!

It is my favourite Precision by a country mile but it has been heavily modified, but you have to have a good starting point to work from.

I also have a Roadworn Precision which as Cameltoe rightly says is a totally different feeling instrument, I simply cannot fault it, I won't be changing anything on that bass

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1439028526' post='2839458']
I wish you could get a Roadworn without the wear...
But as it stands, I reckon the 50s Precision is the best Fender P for the money. The neck is chunky but very comfortable.
[/quote]
They now do the laquerd finished 50's P. but not sure how close to the rest of the Roadworn spec it is.
http://intl.fender.com/en-FI/basses/precision-bass/classic-series-50s-precision-bass-lacquer-maple-fingerboard-black/

It is a great bass! (that's the one in my avatar, I just replaced the pickguard).

The neck is very very comfortable, it's my favourite thing about that bass. It is a bit wider, but the profile is kind of shallow. It feels chunky to some because of the extra width, but I think it sits beautifully in my hand... and my hands are not big at all.

I'm a "tinkerer and pickup replacer", but I felt this one was beautiful just as it is. I replaced the pickgurad because I did not like the feel of the metallic one.

They all have lacquered necks/fingerboard. Some are nitrocellulose. Mine is just the standard glossy lacquer.

Try one before you bite the bullet, because clearly a lot of people think the neck is a bit too big. But I really don't think it's that chunky. Many budget basses have chunkier necks. The Classic 50s one is just a little wider (I love the extra spacing, myself) so it's not a slim neck. But the profile is shallow and I find it very comfortable.

I was surprised when I first played one by the combination of wider neck and vintage size narrow frets, rather than the more comfortable modern medium jumbo frets.

Mind you, many people get on perfectly well with small frets and vintage correct spec necks, so don't be put off, but be aware they do feel different to a standard modern USA version.

Smaller frets etc make for harder work string bending etc if that's your thing ( it is my thing ) but for more trad flatwound thump you're not gonna have any problem.

I adore the look of the 50s P basses tho, with maple board, sunburst and gold pick guard.