Why become a member? ×

Zoom B2.1u or just the standard one?

bennifer

Looking to get myself my first effects setup. Figured i'd try out the Zoom unit seeing everyone is raving about them so much. Having looked into it theres a few different versions, a £100 odd one, the u, and a £40 odd one, just the plain b2.1. Whats the real world difference? I don't need a USB interface or a volume pedal - just want to experiment with a bit of amp modelling tones, overdrive, compression, delay and of course have a tuner. Is there any reason to go for the more expensive one or will the cheapy do all of those things at the same kind of quality? Cheers!

(Edit - ok, im even more confused, theres the b1 which is £40, the b2 which is £60 and the b2.1u whch is £100 odd - which ones would do me proud?)

Edited by bennifer

+1 The pedal is more than just a volume pedal. It can be assigned to all sorts of effects and can be used to bring them in or take them out. You can also use it to take your volume back to your own preset level and then boost it for, say, a solo. Endless possibilities for the pedal. Use your imagination.

[quote name='Galilee' post='275331' date='Sep 2 2008, 12:01 PM']I always accidentally kick the damn pedal and turn my sound right off, so now I make sure it's not assigned at all.... In my own defence, I do sing lead vocal as well, so I can't focus too much attention on controlling effects.[/quote]

Do you do it while you're trying to hit the footswitch?

Anyway to turn on the tuner you have to press two footswitches as a time, and then the mute is useful obviously.

Yeah I do, I think maybe I just have big feet. :)

As I said, I do kind of blindly kick out at the pedal in order to trigger effects, and I do think that the two switches and the expression pedal are a bit close together. This often results in my suddenly being surprised by the noise (or lack of noise) coming from my bass.

I mostly have to select an effect for the song and stick with it throughout, because I haven't got the spare mental capacity to be accurately dancing on the damn pedal box whilst everything else is happening.

:huh:

Fair enough, I suppose i'm very used to it. I used to gig with 23 pedals on my board. I had to change to thinner shoes so I could hit one and not the others!

You could make a box to raise the pedal, have the two footswitches seperate (very easy) and further apart and away from the exp pedal? I would draw my idea in paint but it's just going to look stupid.

I think that wearing thinner shoes (rather than the steel toe-capped work boots that I currently wear) is probably the answer. Either that or separate effect pedals, but I reckon that would get expensive, what with the amp modelling in the Zoom.

How easy is it to split the footswitches then?

take the back off, find the 4 solder points where the footswitches are attached, solder some long wire on, feed them out the batter case, close it back up. Then just make a board however you want, buy a couple of momentary footswitches from maplins, wire it up, (gordon ramsey voice) DONE!

[quote name='BassManKev' post='274431' date='Sep 1 2008, 12:56 PM']the B2 and B2.1U are identical apart from the expression pedal. So if your not gunna use the pedal, then get the B2

stay away from the B1's, they aint the same quality[/quote]

Agreed - one other point though. The B2.1U has a DI out. I don't think the B2 or B1 have. Worth taking into account if you are likely to be using it live through the PA.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='274431' date='Sep 1 2008, 12:56 PM']the B2 and B2.1U are identical apart from the expression pedal. So if your not gunna use the pedal, then get the B2

stay away from the B1's, they aint the same quality[/quote]

There's no USB socket on the B2 either so it can't be used as a computer interface for recording. The B2.1u comes with Cubase LE and is great for recording.

Edited by Sean

The Birmingham Reverb ([url="http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk"]still using the Sound Control website[/url]) have the B2.1u in for £49. In the interests of marital bliss and because I've got a V-Amp Pro and an AX3000B and a Zoom RFX-2000, I shan't be buying one, but it may be of interest to others.

[quote name='tauzero' post='282759' date='Sep 12 2008, 04:28 PM']The Birmingham Reverb ([url="http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk"]still using the Sound Control website[/url]) have the B2.1u in for £49. In the interests of marital bliss and because I've got a V-Amp Pro and an AX3000B and a Zoom RFX-2000, I shan't be buying one, but it may be of interest to others.[/quote]

Blimey - at that price I'm inclined to buy one and whack it straight onto ebay!

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='288412' date='Sep 21 2008, 10:31 AM']Wow I didn't realise that these were going [b]up[/b] in price. Maybe now's the time to sell mine. It's mint, boxed with everything - only used it for about a month until my GT6 came along. How much should I ask for it?[/quote]

£49 new in sound control er reverb? I guess you may get £25 ... :)