Why become a member? ×

Doubts about 1976 Fender Precision Fretless Originality

rainforest

Hi guys!

I am currently selling/trading my Stingray 5 and then I run into this 1976 Fender Precision Fretless.. the seller seems favorable to trade it for my bass... but looking to its photos I have little doubts about its originality... in particular, there is one thing that makes me think: the "Made in U.S.A" logo under the "PRECISION BASS" writing is missing.... maybe it fade away by time?
Since I don't want to take a fake bass, I ask your opinion and your thoughts about the question :)

I also attach a picture of the fretboard... that on the edge seems to be a little scratched..in your opinion is it worth making the exchange? It doesn't have the original hardcase, but another vintage one...

Thanks in advance for your help :)

[attachment=197869:paletta precision fretless.jpg]

[attachment=197870:tastiera precision fretless.jpg]

Difficult to tell from those photos alone
Any signs of a serial number anywhere?
If you have doubts, then don't trade

But you should also ask yourself how the bass plays, feels & sounds....
Try looking for photos of other 76 P basses online, and compare things like the font of the text,
position & so on...

Also, pics of the body etc might help others make a judgement

Good luck whatever you decide
Marc

In 1976 a Fender bass wouldn't have 'made in USA'on the headstock because all Fenders were made in the USA still at that point, so with no cheaper Fender imports around to confuse things, it was just a given that they were all made stateside.

Firstly, thank you for your all replies guys and for the help! :)

Secondly... the seller has sent me new picture of the bass... including the dismounted neck, but since I don't know anything about dating a Fender neck I have to ask again for your help :D

In addition, from the photos it seems that the pickups are from 1974 (last numbers are 74) .. is it possible that a '76 bass has '74 pickups? :blink:

Here's the photo album: [url="https://imageshack.com/a/mNZ4/1"]https://imageshack.com/a/mNZ4/1[/url]

Edited by rainforest

I've done some surfing and can confirm, there should be made in the usa on the headstock, it can have a trussrod plug, some do, some don't. It looks very clean, almost too clean and the fingerboard looks very dark. It could have 74 pickups on a 76, so for me, a little inconclusive so far.

Below is a 76 fender precision headstock, I would never trade for a vintage fender unless I have had photos of the neck stamp, pot serial numbers, and pickup serial numbers, you can date from these, the pick ups look good I would certainly want the pot codes to be sure.

Edited by chrisanthony1211

You want a photo like this one, this is a pot from my 71 precision which I recently traded on bass chat
304. The maker of the pot, 304 is stackpole
71, year on manufacture
16, week of the year it was made.

[URL=http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/chrisanthony1611/media/image.jpg1_zpsjewjzyxm.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r776/chrisanthony1611/image.jpg1_zpsjewjzyxm.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by chrisanthony1211

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1438779789' post='2837176'] I think you're right to be doubtful. I'd be very wary about a straight trade - Chris Anthony and Police Squad are right I think. It's just too easy to "create" a vintage Fender because they screw together so easily. [/quote]

On the money I feel. Pictures (apols for quality) of my 1988 G&L bass neck. Note how the finish has aged where it is not exposed to light.

[attachment=197922:bass1.jpg] [attachment=197924:bass2.jpg] [attachment=197926:bass3.jpg]

My 1977 P bass (bought from new) was also full of what can be best described as 'white crap' inside the cavities and neck pocket. This bass has long gone from my posession and I have no pictures for reference.