Why become a member? ×

can you get shortscale necks with 20 frets?

matt_citizenbass

i'm not the biggest of guys and basically i feel like a full sized bass is a bit much for me. and completely love the shapes on music masters but they all have 19 frets i use the high register of my bass a lot in my bands songs so i need all i can get (but i hate 24 frets) and plus on the short scale basses i find it hard to reach to the top fret which i need good access to.

can anyone help me?

i might just buy a bronco then shave off a bit of the lower horn.

matt

Rondo do a few SX/Brice short-scale P, J and Jazzmaster types- [url="http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html"]http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html[/url]

the Dean EvoXM bass is 24 fret 30in scale.
I've got the guitar version and it has excellent access at the top of the neck because of the angled neck joint.

[quote name='matt_citizenbass' post='275053' date='Sep 1 2008, 10:58 PM']i think i've completly fallen in love with that danelectro '63 bass. its a shame they only make the aqua one in long scale. maybe its just the body size thats a problem :huh:[/quote]
I have the previous (90s - made in Korea) version of the longhorn, which looks closer to a late 50s/60s one. Its a very light & comfy bass to play and has a unique sound. It does a great punchy double-bass type sound.

The '63 comes as a short scale bass, long scale bass & guitar - The only difference between them all is the neck (& bridge :) ), the body, pickups and electronics are exactly the same on all of them.

[quote name='matt_citizenbass' post='274124' date='Aug 31 2008, 11:18 PM']i'm not the biggest of guys and basically i feel like a full sized bass is a bit much for me. and completely love the shapes on music masters but they all have 19 frets i use the high register of my bass a lot in my bands songs so i need all i can get (but i hate 24 frets) and plus on the short scale basses i find it hard to reach to the top fret which i need good access to.

can anyone help me?

i might just buy a bronco then shave off a bit of the lower horn.

matt[/quote]

I dont know about 20 fret short scales, but dude i fricken love your music! Please come play in Bristol, Theres a huge scene devoted to this kinda stuff.

Also, You would have a lot more luck if you try for a medium scale bass, as apposed to short. Such as a Fender Urge bass.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25396"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25396[/url]

Rob

Edited by Shockwave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, Rondo got some nice-looking basses, Still:
I would be cautious about ordering from Rondomusic from Europe.
I have bought a couple of guitars there myself. Doubt I will do it again.

For starters: it’s expensive to import. A $100 guitar cost $268!
I think the hype is coming from US customers. It’s a lot cheaper there.

Here is how: The shipping and customs and import VAT for items from outside EU makes it expensive even though the USD is low. Example: $100 for guitar and $100 for shipping and 34% on top of the sum (yes on shipping too!) makes it quite expensive. The 34% includes customs, import VAT. And the hidden 1,5% cost VISA gets from trading in another currency.

Secondly: the guitars don’t match their pictures on the web. Even though I bought some of their premium models, they didn’t measure up! Big disappointment. I’m not to crazy about the how the pu:s sound either. Some of the necks are to fat in my opinion and I like a fat neck.

Third: Lousy terms. If you have any complaints you will get: “Items shipped are as is with no warranty”. Sure shipping is expensive, but still..

Fourth:
Customer service suck!
They will probably try hard not to give you any money back. They would try to send you some left over used crap-hardware. At least that’s my experience.

So if you think you’ll order from Rondomusic, good luck to you!
I think you’ll need it.

[quote name='laban1' post='303896' date='Oct 10 2008, 02:37 PM']Yes, Rondo got some nice-looking basses, Still:
**snip**[/quote]

Please take your crusade elsewhere instead of saying the same thing in 3 different threads. OK, you've got a bee in your bonnet, I get it.