Why become a member? ×

What strings on your graphite neck?

chrisanthony1211

I've had a couple of status graphite basses in the past, a stealth and a Classic S2, and I'm picking up a modulus tomorrow and have started to think about what I'm going to sting it with, I like playing with flats and have been advised that Thomastik flats sound pretty good on a flea bass but I'm open to suggestions, what strings are on your graphite necked bass and how's it sound and play?

Edited by chrisanthony1211

I found that using nickel strings on my Flea really helps it. It softens up the sound somewhat. You still get that searing clarity but with a rounder edge. SS strings really enhance the treble/top end, which this bass has no small amount of naturally anyway!!

What strings do you like on instruments you've played (or are playing ATM)?

I'm guessing you like flats - "I like playing with flats" kinda indicated that (every so subtly). For traditional thud and decent clarity - I'd recommend the TI Jazz flats without hesitation. They are also easy on the hands due to there flexible nature. I have tried a set of chromes - which sound a bit brighter than the TI's - but come with much higher tension and a more open sounding midrange (at least on a P bass).

I'd advise keeping an eye out for semi flat strings - I had good results from a GHS set of pressurewounds - or maybe trying the new EB flats - which are supposed to be lighter tension: [url="http://www.ernieball.com/products/bass-guitar-strings/5511/regular-slinky-flatwound-bass"]http://www.ernieball.com/products/bass-guitar-strings/5511/regular-slinky-flatwound-bass[/url]

If you're willing to try rounds I'd recommend trying D'Addarios, Elixers, or Rotosounds - Like 40hz I tend to prefer the sound of NPS (nickel plated steel) rounds to SS (stainless steel).

I've done plenty of research and it came down to chromes, which are currently on, DR lo-rider nickel, or GHS pressurewound, and I've just ordered the DR lo-rider nickel wound, I was very tempted by the pressurewound and may try them next time, I was also tempted by D'Addario nickel wound as they seem to be very cheap!

What Modulus are you getting ?

They're my favourite basses :)

I switch strings depending on what I'm doing. For jazz gigs I have a set of Thomastik flats, they're nice on my solo stuff too. At the moment I have a set of very light (100, 80, 60, 40, 032, 028) D'addario ProSteels on, for a more guitar'esque vibe.

String choice heavily depends on the sound you want to achieve. When mentioning flats you're surely going a different road than I am :-).
For my Zon, I`d like to underping the characteristics of a graphite neck - which is clarity and punch. My first choice strings for years were Dr Hi-Beams - but recently, I found D'Addario EPS to suit that sound as well ... at almost half the price. Notabene: that instrument is used in a funk band mainly, with random occurences of slapping. Fundamental bottom, mids that don`t get lost in a band-context and a bright upper range.
Tom

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1437860643' post='2829653']
I found that using nickel strings on my Flea really helps it. It softens up the sound somewhat. You still get that searing clarity but with a rounder edge. SS strings really enhance the treble/top end, which this bass has no small amount of naturally anyway!!
[/quote]

Elixir Nickels, for this exact reason

• 2 weeks later...

My two are both fitted with Rotosound Nexus. I started using the strings before I got the necks and really liked how bright they are and how they give off loads of mids. Once my necks arrived the necks were strung with the Nexus straight away and work perfectly with the necks, with the added bonus of looking awesome too.

• 6 months later...

I've been through plenty of different strings trying to get "that" sound over the lastv12 months, and I think the advantage of having three of my favourite basses is that I can have them all strung differently, I currently have some Elixir Nanowebs on my black flea which I'm very impressed with, nice and smooth, less string noise that normal rounds, and the coating just dampens down a little bit of the top end which I quite like. I have Ken smith pressurewound on my blue sparkle, which are also a good compromise, not quite as much zing as the Elixirs, but a real nice feel and cut through nicely. And finally I have some TI flats on my silver flea, which do what TI's always do, they sound mellow, smooth but with plenty of thud, and feel beautiful under the fingers. To be honest, I change bass depending on my mood and not what songs I'm playing, whichever strings I'm using they all sound great, they all just bring something a little bit different to the party.

Edited by chrisanthony1211