Why become a member? ×

Anyone bought a new bass and found their fretting hand aches?

Lozz196

I thought you were sticking to the MIM's Lozz, LOL!!

I think a bigger neck you can adjust to. A smaller one, IMHO, is worse. I bought and sold a Road Worn Jazz in record time as the neck was giving me serious finger ache. I was getting woken in the night with it!

My US P is a 2014, and it's one of the comfiest necks I've ever played. So comfy in fact, that I couldn't bear to part with it!

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1436983667' post='2822591']
Where are you based? I have a Music Man 25th Anniversary 4 string (the same as the reflex but with the a fancy finish limited to 2009 production that later became the Reflex). I'm in Bolton so if you're close you're more than welcome to come and have a play. If not, maybe another owner closer to you could accommodate? It's always worth trying before you buy. I also have a stingray & the necks are completely different to the reflex. I'd say the reflex neck is very similar to a bongo. It may be easier to try one of these as there are more of them about.
[/quote]

Cheers for the offer but I'm on the outskirts of Birmingham (on the Warwickshire side).

That's very useful info about the Bongo neck being similar to the Reflex.

I'm only about 1/2 an hour away from Bass Direct (who I'm probably going to order the Reflex through) so I'm just going to check their website to see if they have any Bongos in. If they do then I know what I'm doing this Saturday.

Thanks again.

Edited by Cato

I found that, I got a precision because people are always banging on how good they are, and I like the sound but yes, it makes my fretting hand ache. I have the advantage of having a few others, and I still like it, but I wouldn't have it as my only bass as I couldn't play it all the time.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1436986346' post='2822617']

I think a bigger neck you can adjust to. A smaller one, IMHO, is worse. I bought and sold a Road Worn Jazz in record time as the neck was giving me serious finger ache. I was getting woken in the night with it!

My US P is a 2014, and it's one of the comfiest necks I've ever played. So comfy in fact, that I couldn't bear to part with it!
[/quote]

I was, but mentally I just can`t get away from having a US. Plus the sound your 2014 made on that sound-clip didn`t help - one of the nicest Precision tones I`ve heard in a long time. Got me thinking about a current US that did.

Anyway, back onto topic - put a fresh set of Rotosound Steel Rounds on and had a good play, not much of a problem. I reckon I am getting used to it which is great. I think cos my 70s Precisions were uite narrow I`d just got used to them, so am having to adjust back. Looks like it`s working, soo all well and good.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1436986516' post='2822619']

Cheers for the offer but I'm on the outskirts of Birmingham (on the Warwickshire side).

That's very useful info about the Bongo neck being similar to the Reflex.

I'm only about 1/2 an hour away from Bass Direct (who I'm probably going to order the Reflex through) so I'm just going to check their website to see if they have any Bongos in. If they do then I know what I'm doing this Saturday.

Thanks again.
[/quote]
No problem - I'm sure Mark at Bass DIrect will sort you out. If you need any help or have any questions just give me a shout. Hope it works out for you.

I just switched to a BTB 456 6 string, the neck's quite wide and was having problems with pain in my 3rd finger. I started warming my hands up and stretching before playing and it's gone now. I can't say for sure it wouldn't have gone anyway as I got used to the neck, but it's a good idea anyway so I'm sticking to it.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1436989699' post='2822658']
I was, but mentally I just can`t get away from having a US. Plus the sound your 2014 made on that sound-clip didn`t help - one of the nicest Precision tones I`ve heard in a long time. Got me thinking about a current US that did.
[/quote]

I'm responsible for [i]someone else's[/i] GAS! :lol:

:useless:

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1436986346' post='2822617']

[/quote]
This ^. I think in most cases, moving to a thicker neck will just need a period of adjustment. Moving to a neck that is too thin can be a real problem...especially to the many of us heading to the early stages of arthritis...

I use this hand exerciser - available in most music shops (it's well worn but I think it's Planet Waves). Great for warm-up or just keeping the finger strength up. In theory, you can change the tension for each finger, although weedy me has them all set on lowest :lol:

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1437301983' post='2824907']
I use this hand exerciser - available in most music shops (it's well worn but I think it's Planet Waves). Great for warm-up or just keeping the finger strength up. In theory, you can change the tension for each finger, although weedy me has them all set on lowest :lol:

[/quote]

Yes very good that. I have one too, problem is when you get old like me, (50+) and get pins and needles in your fore fingers, there's no amount tools that can fix that, the only thing I've found that helps is to allow good blood circulation to the wrist and hand by doing gentle weight lifting using barbells, yes it helps a little but there are days when things are just numb and I end up playing in discomfort using muscle memory as to where my fingers are supposed to be, but with very little feel in my left fretting hand, which is not a nice thing really.