Why become a member? ×

Which would you recomend?

pmjos

Hi All

I have a dilemma..I am a it out of date rig wise and wanted good and light

I have been offered a Tone hammer 500 with an SL 12cab AND a Genz 6.2 12" combo with extension speaker a the same time. Both are offered for approx £900. The TH and speaker are a few moths old, the Genz rig us under 2 years old.

Which one should I go for and why?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1436606437' post='2819435']
TH500 with a SL112 ...but I would definitely add a 2nd SL112...no doubt about it.
[/quote]

+1

Out of the 2 choices I'd do this.

I use TH500's and I had a GB STL9.2 which was very good but I kept the TH500 because it worked better with my Bergantino cab. I know nothing about Genz cabs, but it sounds like the (unnamed) extension cab isn't a matching GB, so I'd probably give that a miss.

2 112 cabs sound very good together so I'd always go for a modular 212.

Have you listened to these rigs? Have a listen and see which one you prefer.

PS
Fender's ownership of Genz seemed to have no impact on their products. GB continued to design and manufacture top class gear right up to the end, so that should not have any bearing on your decision.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1436610782' post='2819466']
2 112 cabs sound very good together...
[/quote]

That they do... more flexible also. Leave one at home for practice while you take the other to rehearsal... and both for gigs where you will get more than enough headroom and big air-movement joy. Also dependant on which amp you're using, obviously... :)

Having Aguilar amps and being very impressed with them I`d recommend those. I`d also echo JT and Chris on getting another matching SL112 at some point. That would be a nice compact rig, capable of playing on all but the biggest stages.