Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM600

fretmeister

Anyone got one?

Many years ago I had a UK built MAG400H (red front) and it was a great sounding amp, and I ended up selling it.

I like the Ashdown sound but since that flawless MAG400H there have been loads of horror stories about Ashdown reliability. I have no idea if that has been fixed or the issues remain - so that's really what I'm asking about.

Are they now as reliable as any other? Or is there a reason I sometimes see 2 on top of a 8x10?

ta

I don't think Ashdown amps are more unreliable than any other brand. They come with a 3 year warranty as standard, with the option of extending to 5 years if you send away the warranty card. Their customer service is brilliant too - particularly Guy Morel in their spares department who is extremely helpful. I got some replacement control knobs sent to me the next day after speaking with him. Thumbs up from me!

Edited by acidbass

The new ABM600 has a lifetime warranty I believe. Tonally it is supposed to be an ABM500 EVO III on steroids, and what I heard at the London Bass Show would back that up. Have to say their Foundation cabs sounded nice too.

Edited by Merton

PS I've never had any issue with any of the Ashdown's I've owned (on my 2nd ABM EVO II, had a CTM100 as well which was ace); also got an RM800 on order for which I have high hopes :)

I think the reliability thing was way back when they first moved production of some parts to China but they are far far better now than they were. They have readily admitted to making mistakes and learning lessons with things like the MAG reliability, Superfly and Little Giant series. I'd have no problem trusting the new ABM EVO IV :)

I own three Ashdown heads, two of which are older models, and I've never had a problem with any of them.

My friend owns the exact ABM IV 600 head that was at the bass show, and it sounds incredible. They shipped it the Monday after the show and he's had so many compliments from musicians and sound engineers at gigs on how good it sounds with his barefaced cab, ever since.

It's a very flexible amp and everything about it is very practical and sounds awesome. The EQ is just where you want them to be and it's got enough gain on tap to get a bit growly if you need it. Compressor and sub harmonics are all cracking too. I really love sitting and playing with it - even with the eq switched out, the amp sounds brilliant and has a very useable tone. It seems very reliable and has the usual Ashdown build quality.

Would buy one in a heartbeat if I had the cash, but I understand that the Ashdown sound isn't for everyone. Definitely worth a trip to try one out, don't think you'll be disappointed!

Edited by TheRockinRoadie

I'm a long time fan and user of Ashdown gear. I have never had any issues with reliability with my EB combo, ABM 900 EVO III or CTM 300 or any issues with any of my MAG or ABM cabinets.

As others have said above, there were a few mistakes made in the past, but they seem to be just that... in the past. Ashdown are a great company to deal with and I urge every bass player I speak to who is curious about their gear to try it out.

Personally, I love the tone that is achievable from their amps and am currently just about to pull the trigger on an ABM 600 EVO IV having played through the ABM 1200 at the London Bass Guitar Show and being blown away with how it sounded compared to my ABM 900 EVO III.

Great amps from a great company with great customer service and support.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1436521328' post='2818788']
Ashdown are a great company to work with I have a ABM 400 digital head & they are just making me a ABM1000 .
[/quote]

How does the digital power stage compare to the big ol' lumps of iron in the solid state ones?
Do you miss any of the proper heft you get in the heavier amps?

Eude

To be honest I have never had one , all I can say IMHO the demo I have seen on you tube doesn't do it justice at all in fact it couldn't have been worse . comparing it to my markbass little Rocker & MarkBass Mo Mark , it has a lot of depth, clarity & punch , It made my TC 250 sound like tiny transistor radio . I really don't under stand why more of these were not sold , I've tried to find fault with it & I just can't I have to cover stuff from Blondie ,Peter Gabriel,PIL, Yes to name a few & it does it all very well . I've had a lot of amps & none of them have been as good as this .

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1436567326' post='2819300']
To be honest I have never had one , all I can say IMHO the demo I have seen on you tube doesn't do it justice at all in fact it couldn't have been worse . comparing it to my markbass little Rocker & MarkBass Mo Mark , it has a lot of depth, clarity & punch , It made my TC 250 sound like tiny transistor radio . I really don't under stand why more of these were not sold , I've tried to find fault with it & I just can't I have to cover stuff from Blondie ,Peter Gabriel,PIL, Yes to name a few & it does it all very well . I've had a lot of amps & none of them have been as good as this .
[/quote]

Its an odd one, I think "Class D" puts the more old school folks off, and Ashdown ABMs tend to attract folks looking for a more trad sound, I guess it's just a mix of technology that didn't quite stick for them.
I don't think you can get them anywhere any more, which is a real shame...

Eude