Why become a member? ×

amp stands, angled or straight?

PaulWarning

decided to get an amp stand for my Fender Rumble, do I go for angled, [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Amplifier-Stand-All-Metal-Boston/dp/B008VEAZ2K"]http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B008VEAZ2K[/url] or straight [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/rockstand_rs_23010b_combo_stand.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...combo_stand.htm[/url]
I'm tempted to go straight as the input and controls are on top at the back

Edited by PaulWarning

Is your Rumble the kickback-style, so that you can angle it upwards?

If so, then it's not going to be particularly stable balanced on top of that Thomann stand. Al least the angled stand makes it virtually impossible for it to fall (or vibrate) right off the stand and onto the floor.

An angled stand will also be saleable to one your guitarist friends when you realise that putting a bass combo on a stand rarely improves the situation. :mellow: ;)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1435311007' post='2807459']
Is your Rumble the kickback-style, so that you can angle it upwards?

If so, then it's not going to be particularly stable balanced on top of that Thomann stand. Al least the angled stand makes it virtually impossible for it to fall (or vibrate) right off the stand and onto the floor.

An angled stand will also be saleable to one your guitarist friends when you realise that putting a bass combo on a stand rarely improves the situation. :mellow: ;)
[/quote]no it's a square box, I used an angled stand at a gig the other night and was impressed at the clarity of my sound compared to having it sitting on the floor, but it made getting at the controls award

On the whole angled stands are best provided that the angle can be adjusted so that you can get the speaker pointing at your head even when you have to stand very close to the amp.

However on amps with controls mounted on the top at the back, they make adjusting them unnecessarily difficult. I've played with a lot guitarists who have amps built like this and they look so awkward hunched over trying to get at the controls and identify what they do.

Why to manufacturers still build combos like this? I get that it's retro styling, and also that it can be a cost effective layout in all valve amps, but it dates from times when the use of amplification was completely different to today - these amps were designed to be placed on the floor in front of the performers and then the control are easy to see and reach. Things have moved on and this control layout is an anachronism that needs to die out swiftly.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1435311492' post='2807466']
The Stagg GAS-4.2 is a good buy on ebay, works great with my Markbass CMD121 and is less than half the price of those two at about £15!
[/quote]

Yup. I bought one of them recently and I've just used mine tonight. It's perfect for an amp the size of the Markbass, although it can take something a little bigger too for sure. I think it's just elevated enough to not lose the "oomph", and you can adjust the angle. It's brilliant.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1436487617' post='2818623']
Yup. I bought one of them recently and I've just used mine tonight. It's perfect for an amp the size of the Markbass, although it can take something a little bigger too for sure. I think it's just elevated enough to not lose the "oomph", and you can adjust the angle. It's brilliant.
[/quote]

Yup, I've since bought the NY121 extension cab to go under the combo, but it's still not really that high, so I'm thinking of chopping an inch off either end end of the bottom tubes and using it to angle the combo whilst standing on top of the cab.... Not sure if it's a good idea or not, but what's the worst that could happen eh?

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1436517462' post='2818709']
Yup, I've since bought the NY121 extension cab to go under the combo, but it's still not really that high, so I'm thinking of chopping an inch off either end end of the bottom tubes and using it to angle the combo whilst standing on top of the cab.... Not sure if it's a good idea or not, but what's the worst that could happen eh?
[/quote]

I like that idea.

It may be possible to use a couple of long strips of tough velcro to go over the stand's feet and attach to the bottom cab (it's covered in carpet), giving a bit of extra protection against bumps. Maybe?

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1436519390' post='2818742']
I like that idea.

It may be possible to use a couple of long strips of tough velcro to go over the stand's feet and attach to the bottom cab (it's covered in carpet), giving a bit of extra protection against bumps. Maybe?
[/quote]

Hmmm, I did have some self adhesive velcro strips somewhere, but I'd be worried about ruining the carpet on my brand new cab. Guess if it's only done occasionally it would take a fair while before any bobbling occurs...

Actually, I've just tried it.... It's a terrible idea! Doesn't really work as the angle is all wrong and the combo ends up too far forward and it seems very unstable. Maybe with a bigger (deeper) cab underneath it would be ok....

Edited by 4-string-thing

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1436521086' post='2818782']
Hmmm, I did have some self adhesive velcro strips somewhere, but I'd be worried about ruining the carpet on my brand new cab. Guess if it's only done occasionally it would take a fair while before any bobbling occurs...

Actually, I've just tried it.... It's a terrible idea! Doesn't really work as the angle is all wrong and the combo ends up too far forward and it seems very unstable. Maybe with a bigger (deeper) cab underneath it would be ok....
[/quote]

ah pity... :(

Yep. Another Stagg user here!

Works great with the new Rumbles because they're so light. Luckily for me, I'm a 'set and forget' guy so I don't need to keep fiddling with the controls.

If you had a particularly heavy combo I'd recommend a more expensive and better quality one.