Why become a member? ×

What to do with my precision??

Modman

Alright Guys and Girls,

I've got an old MIM Fender Precision that's just sitting in the corner collecting dust (literally). I've been toying with the idea again about having a fretless for playing Jazz with but funds are tight. Do i...

A) defret the precision and get some new hardware to spruce it up
B) Swap it for a fretless of similar value or...
C) Sell it and Buy something else?

Answwers on a postcard or preferably on here would be great!

:)

[quote name='Modman' timestamp='1435258118' post='2807106']
Now that was an option, but I struggle with squire being a reputable brand. I hear good things about them... It's a tough one.
[/quote]

reputable brand?

Try one first... see if you like it, and ignore what the headstock says.

Some Fenders are dogs and some Squiers are fantastic. In general, modern Squiers are pretty decent. The VM Fretless is pretty tasty.

Yeah it already has flats on it and I do enjoy the sound of it but I have no use for it which is a shame. It is a rosewood fretboard so I wouldn't want to defret it myself. I've also thought about buying a fretless neck but I think warmoth's are roughly about £400??

[quote name='Modman' timestamp='1435257727' post='2807099']
Alright Guys and Girls,

I've got an old MIM Fender Precision that's just sitting in the corner collecting dust (literally). I've been toying with the idea again about having a fretless for playing Jazz with but funds are tight. Do i...

A) defret the precision and get some new hardware to spruce it up
B) Swap it for a fretless of similar value or...
C) Sell it and Buy something else?

[/quote]

D) Give it to Funky Dunky

Seriously though, I would go with B or C if it were my choice. Or as has been said, sell it, buy a Squier VM fretless. Pocket a few bob.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1435259856' post='2807127']
reputable brand?

Try one first... see if you like it, and ignore what the headstock says.

Some Fenders are dogs and some Squiers are fantastic. In general, modern Squiers are pretty decent. The VM Fretless is pretty tasty.
[/quote]

Spot on!
Honestly, I don't think I've played a bad Squier recently
I had a Classic Vibe 60's P bass, and wish I'd kept it
Though I haven't seen a fretless CV - there must be one out there somewhere....

The Vintage Modified series are great though (poss not quite as fab as the CV series)
but still a fab bass for the money. I've played a few fretless VM's and own one
Every one I've played has been great

Good luck with your search, and don't worry about the badge on the headstock
A good bass is a good bass :)

I've played a Squier Jazz in a shop and for £300 ish it was way better than the £600 Fender Jazz they also had on the wall.

I've modded basses before and everything depends on how good a bass you start with. I'd sell the MIM and try as many Squires as you can. You might be pleasantly surprised.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1435308683' post='2807428']
I've played a Squier Jazz in a shop and for £300 ish it was way better than the £600 Fender Jazz they also had on the wall.

I've modded basses before and everything depends on how good a bass you start with. I'd sell the MIM and try as many Squires as you can. You might be pleasantly surprised.
[/quote]

Yes, that's happened to me too
I also recently played a MIM Jazz
but it felt like it wasn't finished too well on the edges of the neck
and didn't sound as nice as the Squier Jazz next to it in the shop either (and the MIM was quite a lot more expensive)

Also meant to say, the Squiers I've played have all felt comfortable, and quite light

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Modman' timestamp='1435305726' post='2807391']
Yeah it already has flats on it and I do enjoy the sound of it but I have no use for it which is a shame. It is a rosewood fretboard so I wouldn't want to defret it myself. I've also thought about buying a fretless neck but I think warmoth's are roughly about £400??
[/quote]

I defretted a couple of basses... not hard! And trust me, I am not the more capable guy with tools ;)
I bought some fret pullers on eBay for about £6, and carefully I extracted the frets. No damage to speak of. I just took my time and went slowly. About 20 minutes for the whole neck.

Then I gave it to someone else (a local luthier I know) to insert a veneer, and plane the fingerboard nicely, which was less than £100.