Why become a member? ×

Newbie to fretless basses

lawetlatla

Before you buy a "F" bass try a few others. Having owned both the P & the J be cautious most of them don't sound as good as Jaco's. In fact I would describe the P as an electric plank, one tone only and my J hums under certain types of lights irritatingly. For a bass that doesn't cost an arm and a leg I suggest you try a Spector Spectorcore fretless, has the advantage of a Fishman piezo in the bridge. The old Yamha TRB is similarly equipped and that offers a useful alternative sound palate. Pino Palladino says he adds a little chorus to fretless to give it his distinctive sound and that is certainly pleasant. You may also want to experiment with different strings, wire wounds will give you more bite but they churn up the surface of the fingerboard badly. (Jaco painted his finger board with epoxy glue to harden it). If you can afford to make sure the fretless bass you choose has an ebony finger board, it's much harder wood than rosewood and produces better sustain. Flat wound strings are less damaging to the fingerboard, but generally seem to have less tone than wire wounds, although I am sure that now loads of flat wound string aficionados will detail the benefits of their favourite string make. I do use flats myself but find that a pre-amp equaliser is needed to colour the sound to my taste.
Good luck and have fun.

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1438163900' post='2832139']
although I am sure that now loads of flat wound string aficionados will detail the benefits of their favourite string make. I do use flats myself but find that a pre-amp equaliser is needed to colour the sound to my taste.
Good luck and have fun.
[/quote]

...and here is the first!

I prefer flatwounds on a fretless because I am into the 'Graceland' tones, but also really enjoy the super-fast feel of gliding around the fretboard without strings noise.

I use d'addario chromes at the moment - the 'custom' set, AKA balanced tension.

I also find that the 'mwah' from flatwounds is much more even and bloomy - you just have to lower the action.

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1438204577' post='2832592']
...and here is the first!

I prefer flatwounds on a fretless because I am into the 'Graceland' tones, but also really enjoy the super-fast feel of gliding around the fretboard without strings noise.

I use d'addario chromes at the moment - the 'custom' set, AKA balanced tension.

I also find that the 'mwah' from flatwounds is much more even and bloomy - you just have to lower the action.
[/quote]

+1 to all the above, to my ear flats also get rid of some of the nasal-ness without loosing the essential fretless vibe.

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1438204577' post='2832592']
I prefer flatwounds on a fretless because I am into the 'Graceland' tones,
[/quote]

Any idea what strings [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bakhiti Khumalo plays?[/font][/color]

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1438344297' post='2833726']
Any idea what strings [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bakhiti Khumalo plays?[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Hard to find out... even Bakhiti will probably not remember, but I get a similar tone using chrome flatwounds on the bridge pup with the treble dialled-out quite a lot, a decent upper mid-boost, and plucking at the bridge.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed the nickels on my Wal to La Bella flats this weekend as is my default behaviour when I get a new fretless... I have to say that I changed them back afer a couple of hours, The nickels just work so much better on this bass.

So asides from being a waste of £45, as a result of this discovery I've now resigned myself to destroying the fingerboard on my pristine new bass :blink: ah well... my basses are for playing not keeping in a museum :)

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1439194605' post='2840598']
I changed the nickels on my Wal to La Bella flats this weekend as is my default behaviour when I get a new fretless... I have to say that I changed them back afer a couple of hours, The nickels just work so much better on this bass.

So asides from being a waste of £45, as a result of this discovery I've now resigned myself to destroying the fingerboard on my pristine new bass :blink: ah well... my basses are for playing not keeping in a museum :)
[/quote]

If it's an ebony board it shouldn't be a problem, but even if not, low action, lightish strings and a gentle technique can substantially protect a rosewood board from wear.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1439198483' post='2840640']
If it's an ebony board it shouldn't be a problem, but even if not, low action, lightish strings and a gentle technique can substantially protect a rosewood board from wear.
[/quote]

It's an ebony board so I'm hoping the rounds won't chew it up too much... :blink: