Why become a member? ×

Michael Mondesir

seashell

Up until yesterday I had never heard of this amazing bass player.

A drummer friend dragged me along to PMT Brum where they were holding a drum clinic by Michael's brother Mark. It was an enlightening evening!

Just the two of them, no backing tracks, no pedals or loops. Just astonishing improvisation that went in all sorts of unexpected directions. Then Mark took questions, and provided many interesting insights and anecdotes.

And they both seemed like genuinely nice guys as well.

So what do you reckon, BCers? Michael Mondesir...anyone else think he's the dog's whatsits? :-)

I saw him something like 20 years ago at the Dunoon Jazz Festival (when that still existed) with Nikki Yeoh. He had a Marmite jar velcroed to his bass which he used for some weird slide noises on one tune! I was a teenager and hadn't been playing long, so he made a bit of an impression. Nice to know he's still going strong.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Mike is a monster. He has played with Billy Cobham, Trilok Gurtu, John McLaughlin, Django Bates, Iain Ballamy and many more. His own trio with his brother, called MGM until they were threatened with litigation, were interesting (I saw them supporting Bill Bruford's Earthworks in the 1990s). And a nice guy to talk to also, very approachable.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1434017981' post='2795922']
Mike is a monster. He has played with Billy Cobham, Trilok Gurtu, John McLaughlin, Django Bates, Iain Ballamy and many more. His own trio with his brother, called MGM until they were threatened with litigation, were interesting (I saw them supporting Bill Bruford's Earthworks in the 1990s). And a nice guy to talk to also, very approachable.
[/quote]

And Annette Peacock!