Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

The QR10PA is pretty light as it is. The Roland is nice, but volume can be an issue. I've been using the QR10PA for a couple of years now and I'm very happy with it. I've also just bought a tiny battery operated mixer from Maplins (they have several, from £10 to £30 depending on features), so that I can put a few more things through it.

When I checked the Roland, I felt that it would not be enough volume for me. With the QR10PA I have always had a lot more in store than I needed, even when I played with a trumpet player, sax player, three guitars through mini Roland amps (the guitar versions are good for busking, plenty loud if needed) and a drummer playing either a cajon, or a small snare and hi-hats. Playing out in the park, it's noisy, it can be windy... the Roland would have been drowned after a few feet. If you're always playing with a quieter band in quiet situations, then the Roland might be ok, but I thought the QR10PA was more versatile for not that much more weight (it's still light and easy to carry - but forget about the built-in wheels, they're rubbish, I just grab it by one of the side bars, they make a better handle than the actual handle). I've used it busking in quieter places, and busking in places we were allowed to be louder, like by the beach. We also played in pubs, "open-mic" style, where we can turn up a bit more. It just works, and battery life is good, so far.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1433776226' post='2793845']
The trouble with these mini battery amps is they really don't have enough power to be of any use.. They are loud enough but it won't sound like a bass guitar.
[/quote]

Have you tried them?

The QR10PA definitely sounds like a bass... <_<

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1433778780' post='2793885']
Have you tried them?

The QR10PA definitely sounds like a bass... <_<
[/quote]

I've tried the roland one but I've never even heard of the QR10PA so I can't speak for that :)

Does it actually sound like a bass? not twangy and honky?

* having just checked it out it looks like a pretty sizable piece of kit so I'm sure that'll be miles better than the small battery powered Roland.

Edited by CamdenRob

I had the Roland Micro Bass for a while, I wanted a small amp to be able to use playing along with the TV sometimes. I never got anything 'decent' out of it with passive basses, very disappointed, at the time I only had one active, which was far better suited but I still wouldn't expect to go with drums :o

[sub]I had the Roland and it struggled even in an acoustic instrument environment. I sold it on to The Rev here for use with an upright double bass, don't know if he still has it? I have seen people using a proper 150-200 watt combo powered by caravan batteries and hooked up through an inverter. You do need a trolley however...![/sub]

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1433835368' post='2794287']
I've tried the roland one but I've never even heard of the QR10PA so I can't speak for that :)

Does it actually sound like a bass? not twangy and honky?

* having just checked it out it looks like a pretty sizable piece of kit so I'm sure that'll be miles better than the small battery powered Roland.
[/quote]

It's not the best bass sound in the world, but it *does* sound like a bass and projects well enough when busking. :)

I know what you meant 'though, a lot of practice bass amps sound all midrangey and "meh" with small cabs etc.
The QR10PA simply works. It's not huge, but it can do bass pretty well. The tone shaping is very limited, so an external EQ pedal can be a good thing. I used to use a Zoom MS60B with it, for EQ and tuner and it was nice to be able to use one of the amp sims to give it a nicer sound... but the MS60B eats batteries like crazy, so you needed to bring extra batteries. I ended up ditching it and just taking my Korg tuner with me.
In addition, the QR10PA has a lot of other features... most of them not very good, but it does give you an option to run mp3 directly from USB, which can be nice for those who go solo and use some backing tracks. But the extra microphone and other extra things are not good at all.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1433839283' post='2794341']
[size=4][sub]I had the Roland and it struggled even in an acoustic instrument environment. I sold it on to The Rev here for use with an upright double bass, don't know if he still has it? I have seen people using a proper 150-200 watt combo powered by caravan batteries and hooked up through an inverter. You do need a trolley however...![/sub][/size]
[/quote]

Yeah, that's what I was going to do, use my MarkBass little combo and a battery... but once you start adding it all up, the portability goes out of the window, and you would not really be saving much money compared to the QR10PA... So I gave it a try to see, as it was cheap enough. Happy I did!
There is also a 12" and a 15" version, and I think the 15" is higher wattage too... but the 10" is so light and easy to take with me, I don't think the extra bulk/weight was worth it. I know someone who just went for the 12", we have to meet at the park sometime and try them side by side :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1433840113' post='2794355']

It's not the best bass sound in the world, but it *does* sound like a bass and projects well enough when busking. :)

I know what you meant 'though, a lot of practice bass amps sound all midrangey and "meh" with small cabs etc.
The QR10PA simply works. It's not huge, but it can do bass pretty well. The tone shaping is very limited, so an external EQ pedal can be a good thing. I used to use a Zoom MS60B with it, for EQ and tuner and it was nice to be able to use one of the amp sims to give it a nicer sound... but the MS60B eats batteries like crazy, so you needed to bring extra batteries. I ended up ditching it and just taking my Korg tuner with me.
In addition, the QR10PA has a lot of other features... most of them not very good, but it does give you an option to run mp3 directly from USB, which can be nice for those who go solo and use some backing tracks. But the extra microphone and other extra things are not good at all.
[/quote]

How long does it last after a full charge?

I'm quite intrigued now...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1433840877' post='2794366']
How long does it last after a full charge?

I'm quite intrigued now...
[/quote]

I don't know, I never used it for more than 2-3h at a time. So it does that at least.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1434029856' post='2796093']
Well, the Roland isn't coming off as the best option in this thread!

Thanks for all the posts, if I get a chance to actually try the cube out I'll still give it a pop, but if I'm buying blind the Qtx sounds the safer bet, even though I won't be able to store (hide!) it quite so neatly!
[/quote]

The QTX is not as big as I thought from the stock image... compare it next to my bass:

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1433839283' post='2794341']
[sub]I had the Roland and it struggled even in an acoustic instrument environment. I sold it on to The Rev here for use with an upright double bass, don't know if he still has it? [/sub]
[/quote]

Yarp. Still have it & still use it. I bought it for busking but it gets more use on acoustic gigs in cider sheds.
I tend to use it as a monitor rather than sound reinforcement in acoustic settings, though I have noticed that it seems louder from 15ft away than it does when you're stood next to it.

If you want something to make electric or acoustic bass guitar heard against unamped acoustic guitars/vocals/sympathetic drums then it will do the job nicely. For anything more you'll need to go down the camping battery and proper amp route.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1436892769' post='2821816']
Finally got round to ordering the QTX, and it arrived this afternoon.

It has many features I don't need, but seems to sound fine for it's intended purpose. I'm having some real trouble with noise coming from the back panel though- did you find any thing like that Mcnach? There are some definite points of air leakage (I can literally feel it puffing from a couple of the switches!), so hopefully it's just a case of plugging or gumming up the right spots.

Not sure I'll take it to rehearsal tonight, just in case it is a faulty unit...
[/quote]

Hmmm, no, mine didn't do that [1]. It did develop some rattling after a couple of months... it sounds like there's a loose nut/washer inside, but I had been taking it places and not being particularly gentle with it so I wasn't going to go back and moan ;) It's still ok.
There's some hiss, plugged/battery with/without instrument attached, but it's not audible on the street or in a bar with people around etc.

[1] more correctly: I have not noticed anything like that. I have not checked, or felt I had a reason to check.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1436969056' post='2822431']
After some judicious use of masking tape it does appear that lots of the switches and sockets weren't airtight and were causing lots of the noise. As I'll likely never use most of them a little tube of silicone will probably help no end! The wheels do rattle a little bit too which wasn't unexpected- I'm sure they can be damped somehow if it proves intrusive.

The only other thing is that distortion kicks in pretty early either on battery or mains even with a passive bass. It's only when playing out that I'll be able to tell if I can get enough out of it, and how much bass I can cut before I lose the right spot in the mix. In my living room I've been running it with the treble fully cut and bass at 12 o'clock.

Thanks for your help so far, but again, how's yours for clipping/speaker breakup, Mcnach? Mine seems to have trouble after about 9 o'clock on the volume with a P-bass with rounds. It's always hard to gauge volume out of context, but at that point things in the living room were rattling sympathetically, so hopefully it will be adequate!
[/quote]

I think I'd try for a replacement, that doesn't sound right :(

Mine does not distort, and I have played it with passive (Precision & Jazz) and active basses (Stingray & Jazz + J-Retro preamp), including some bass boost from the onboard preamps on the active ones... I also used it with a Zoom MS-60B, using some of the synth effects... It's not the best bass amp in the world, but I had no issues with rattling or distortion or the noises you mentioned.

I'd get a replacement, really.

Someone I know has recently bought the 12" speaker version, and he seems to be ok with it too. I think you got unlucky. :(

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1437060390' post='2823289']
Fair enough, I've sent an email about a replacement. Take away the noise troubles and it will be fine for what I'm after, so hopefully another unit will be the answer!
[/quote]

fingers crossed!!