Why become a member? ×

You have been given £700 for pedals only. What next?

ChunkyMunky

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1433692592' post='2793135']

Does that work ok on the bass then? The TC Electronics FAQ for it says it doesn't have the bass mode like the original polytune had, so doesn't work as well.
[/quote]

The "Bass" mode that the FAQs are referring to is where you hit all strings simultaneously, and the tuner displays which ones are out of tune. The chromatic mode (i.e. tuning one string at a time, a la Boss TU-2) is exactly the same on the mini/noir as the original, and works perfectly on bass.

If starting from scratchm £700 I would more or less just get my existing one plus a few other bits and bobs... so...

Existing:

Boss LS2 - £50.00
Digitech bass synth Wah - £30.00
Zoom Ms60b - £100.00
Boss BF-2 - £60.00

So I'd add:

Boss Harmonist - £100.00
Digitech BSW (yes a 2nd one) - £30.00
Boss TU-2 - £80.00
Swollen pickle fuzz - £100.00

Then spend the rest on high quality cabling and a decent power system. Its actually quite scary how far £700 would go (or should I say how far it doesnt go??). The extra pedals are just so I would no longer need to knob twiddle between tunes, and it seperates out the functions I currently use my ms60-b for. So really, For the extra dough I'm not really making any extra noises... just making life a bit easier for me!

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1433699289' post='2793201']
The "Bass" mode that the FAQs are referring to is where you hit all strings simultaneously, and the tuner displays which ones are out of tune. The chromatic mode (i.e. tuning one string at a time, a la Boss TU-2) is exactly the same on the mini/noir as the original, and works perfectly on bass.
[/quote]

Ah - ok, I liked the all string mode when I use the polytune app on the iPhone, so if I had it in a pedal I would want that.

For bass I don't need anywhere near £700 worth---tuner, OD, maybe a synth occasionally.

For guitar I'd get a tuner, a jumbo tonebender, a RAT, a lighter OD, and blow the rest on an outrageously awesome tremolo pedal. Perhaps two---one for the stutter sounds and another for the amp-like stuff.

From scratch id start buying up pedals from my board. As i am now, id probably go:
OTO machines biscuit £400
bypass loop £40~
and ill probably then need a gigrig power adapter fot the biscuit. £60
dont know about the last 200, probably another type of bitcruser...

Edited by elephantgrey

[quote name='ChunkyMunky' timestamp='1433628783' post='2792679']
Hypothetical situation here. You've been given £700 to spend on in pedals and pedals only. What would you get?
[/quote]

Oh, not very much! but.. even if the cash was just given to me (hypothetically), I would still search through the pre-loved markets first:-

TC Polytune mini = £50-£60
BOSS OC-2 Octaver = £70-£90
TC Corona Chorus = £70-£90
Source Audio 'Vertigo' Tremolo = £150 - - - - > personal self indulgence
Earthquaker Dispatch Master (Reverb/Delay) = £150
Eden WTDI World Tour DI/Preamp pedal = £100

..some Haribo and one or two beers B)

Assuming I had no other pedals already... I'm talking used prices here of course!

SFX Micro Thumpinator
Aguilar TLC Compressor
Sansamp Programmable BDDI
Darkglass B3K
ISP Decimator
Zoom B3

These are the pedals I currently use on an "always on" basis, and are the core of my sound. It would probably come to around £600, leaving the rest for extra leads!

Edited by chrismuzz