Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic BH550

James901

Hi

I'm considering purchasing a TCE BH550 and 2 x RS112 cabs rated at 8 ohms each. My concern is that TCE states that the amp must run at '4 ohms minimum', does that mean I must have both cabs connected at all times or can I run the head with one cab at 8 ohms as well?

Thanks!

I'm selling my tc bh550.
I've had it since Feb, it was offered as a replacement for an Ampeg PF-500 which repeatedly blew up and cut out. I have to say that it's better than the Ampeg in terms of the range of tone it can produce and clarity.

This amp has been faultless, it's also V small and has a handy dual toneprint (programmable fx) facility and headphone out/line in. I have an overdrive and chorus currently set and it's easy to swap them with the app.

It is mint, still has the marketing sticker on the top. It's done a few rehearsals and a couple of gigs bit always straight back into my padded kit case so it's spotless.

I still have the original box. I can deliver but don't know how much it costs to send, pm your address and I'll check it out.

Will include the 3 button TC pedal I got to switch toneprints and mute.

PM if you are interested.

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy. Thank you for the offer although i'm hoping to buy new for warranty/finance options. Glad to know you guys rate the head so highly. I absolutely loved the tone from the BG250-112 so i'm hopeful for this new setup. I also hope to try out a RH450 in due course as well.

How do any of you folks find the TC heads for volume?
I got a BC212 recently, and found it a bit on the quiet side when run at the same time as a couple of other 8 Ohm cabs I have. I noticed that TC say you can run THREE of their 8R cabs with their bass heads, but only two of anyone elses. You can't fool with electronics that much, so I did a DC resistance measurement, which came out noticeably higher on the BC212 than on any other cab I have; suggests to me that they're actually more like a 12R cab, hence the ability to run 3 at once.
Just wondering how the heads have performed for any of you in real life rather than on paper.. the actual number of Watts is something of a technicality when it comes to sound.

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1433765099' post='2793698']
I got a BC212 recently, and found it a bit on the quiet side when run at the same time as a couple of other 8 Ohm cabs I have. I noticed that TC say you can run THREE of their 8R cabs with their bass heads, but only two of anyone elses. You can't fool with electronics that much, so I did a DC resistance measurement, which came out noticeably higher on the BC212 than on any other cab I have; suggests to me that they're actually more like a 12R cab, hence the ability to run 3 at once.
Just wondering how the heads have performed for any of you in real life rather than on paper.. the actual number of Watts is something of a technicality when it comes to sound.
[/quote]

If thats correct then that does concern me. I run Hartke LH500 (500w 4ohm) with a TC BC210 and TC BC212. From what you are saying I am not getting the full use of my amp. I thought the fact you can put 3 TC cabs with the TC head was to do with the head rather than the cabs.

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1433765099' post='2793698']
[/quote]

If thats correct then that does concern me. I run Hartke LH500 (500w 4ohm) with a TC BC210 and TC BC212. From what you are saying I am not getting the full use of my amp. I thought the fact you can put 3 TC cabs with the TC head was to do with the head rather than the cabs.

Weirdly the new TC heads ( 550 and 800 ) only allow you to run two of their smaller cabs, whereas my old Bh500 allowed you to run three. Surely this would suggest that the trickery is in the head rather than the cabs....??? The Bh500 is very loud with one or two cabs, never tried three.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='afterimage' timestamp='1434904064' post='2803730']
The old bh500 isca great buy if you can get hold of them
[/quote]

I can second this! My BH500 has done a very good job since I've had it! I'm also considering matching it up with a couple of the new K Series cabs as well. Apart from the fact I'd have a matching brand rig for the first time in about 6 or 7 years, the power handling rating on the K Series cabs would mean I'd also have a mean rig using my Hartke LH500 too!