Why become a member? ×

Inappropriate Songs For The Occasion

Norris

I once did a dep for a band that were playing a wake of all things. It was all very rushed and I never got to meet the band, ( apart from the drummer who I was working with in another band at the time), until the night of the gig; never mind rehearse with them. It was standard rock covers stuff so that wasn't really an issue. What was really extraordinary though was it was actually on the day of the dead guy's funeral. Apparently he had been quite a well know 'lighting' guy on the circuit and there were a few semi- famous people there including Kevin Ayers and the woman from Buck's Fizz who isn't Cheryl Baker...who looked unbelievably horny in heels and black tights Mmmmm. Anyway what we also found out on the night is that the deceased, poor guy, had actually hung himself. Now I know how when you have been doing a set of songs for a while each individual one kinda looses it's meaning outside of it's place in the running order but I felt compelled to suggest to my temporary bandmates that 'Since You've Been Gone' by Rainbow and 'Jump' by Van Halen were probably not the most appropriate choices given the nature of the event.

As a postscript to this tale and the thing I remember most about the evening was that the grieving and quite spectacularly drunk widow insisted on closing the evening with a version of John Lennon's 'Imagine' which was even more tragic than the recent loss of her husband.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1436705972' post='2820048']
'Last Caress' by the Misfits probably wouldn't be the most appropriate choice at a wedding - or any social function for that matter... (great song though).
[/quote]

I was at a wedding recently and once the DJ had finished the bride and groom cued up their own play list on their ipod.

Last Caress went down a storm!

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1436969790' post='2822441']
Did a wedding gig back in the 70's where the best man pleaded with us not to play 'Shotgun Wedding'....
...enter the bride, and we realised why........

:) .
[/quote]

I played with a mate of mine in a duo at his son's wedding and I suggested that it would be a laugh to start with Shotgun Wedding, so we did. Well the room in general thought it was very funny and my mate's son was pi**ing himself. The bride, her mother and indeed the groom's mother however gave us looks as like to turn us to stone! Strange chaps women.

• 2 weeks later...

Once did a card holder shoppers night at BHS in Croydon. The manager asked us to play as they opened the doors. We started with walk on by..... It was a disabled person and card holders night. We felt really bad as the wheelchairs came through the door.

Not my finest moment