Why become a member? ×

Balancing the volume of 2 basses

28mistertee

Hey all I'm after a bit of advice which I know nothing about as I've never been one for effects. I have two basses at the minute with a third as a spare for two tunings, an SB2 and a Jazz bass. I mostly use the SB2 but a couple of our songs require an e flat tuning for which I use my jazz bass. Now the problem is as soon as I swap the basses the difference in output is a mile apart and I was looking for a pedal that could bring my jazz up to near the same output as my sb2. I've read up and so far have come across the radial bassbone but was just wondering if there is anything else more suitable?

Cheers in advance.

Any clean boost pedal would suffice. The EHX LPB-1 is one of the simplest and cheapest - it can roll of some treble with higher pitched instruments, but I'm not sure whether this occurs when used with bass guitar. If you search for 'clean boost pedal' in a search engine or eBay you'll find some other options.

I have similar problem, my passive Ric and active Ibanezes are a very similar output, but the signal from my Rob Allen is as hot as hell! Pretty much any pre amp pedal will sort you out, but the Bassbone is a cracking piece of kit. Of course you can always turn the SB2 down to an equal level if it doesn't muddy the tone (not ideal I know and a 'fix' I'm not keen on as I like to run my basses wide open).

Edited by ezbass

Thanks ezbass, I run the sb2 vol at about 80% and its still way more powerful than my jazz. Wouldn't want to turn down much more as to fear of losing the tone. Can I bring the level of my jazz up to a similar level of my sb with a Bassbone or is it a case of bringing the sb output down to my jb level?

As has been mentioned a clean boost on one of the basses could level things out. Or you could use a Radial Bass Bone or similar pedals with 2 channels and separate level/gain control.

Could also be a Boss LS-2 Line Selector or if you want to also make changes in your rig, the TC RH amps have 3 presets that also recall individual input gain settings.

I use a Boss LS-2 line selector when I have this situation. It's an A B box with a volume for each side that makes it easy to balance 2 separate instruments.

It's cheaper than a Bassbone & they often appear for sale on here or eBay. They also have various settings that means they do much more than what I have described above and can therefore solve other connection and balance issues.

+1 for the boss LS2, does the job. I bought a microbass and luckily enough the drive channel, which I use for my rick has much more output than the clean channel, which I use with a stingray. So by chance it solves the disparity in volume.

Edited by steviedee