Why become a member? ×

210 4ohms vs 410 8ohms help!!!

MyNameIsJeff

Hey guys, ok I've seen two used markbass cabs ones a 102 4ohms and the other is a 410 8ohms.. I'll be matching them up with a lm3 head.. I'm looking to run just one cab only, as I do have another rig that can be used with multiple cabs. So which cab would work best with the amp on a performance level? Thanks

Assuming they use the same drivers, my guess is that the 410 will be louder as it has more speakers! It may not get the "full power" from the amp, but volume is not measured in watts! ;) It will also be heavier though... but you knew that of course! :D

An LM3 with a 102P @ 4Ohm would be loud enough to cover most pub/club gigs.

If down the line you want to run multiple cabs you would have to [b]leave the 4Ohm 102P at home, [/b]you would instead need 2 8Ohm cabs.

I was in the same boat as you a few months back, I went with a single 8Ohm 102P and have just purchased a 2nd if I need the extra push.

Edited by mrn1989

But don't run them together...and doubt your amp could handle it anyway.
I don't think a 210 can do a decent volume gig... but many here will say they do.
Too many sound compromises for me to enjoy it so I wouldn't try to do it.

What is your other rig?

What is the need driving you to want to buy these cabs?

Personally, I wouldn't buy either of these cabs.

I used to own an 8 ohm 210 but I ran 2 together, for my louder gigs. A modular 410 is the better way to go IMO.

I`d get the 8ohm 410. Having used a Markbass Little Mark Tube 500 with an 8ohm Markbass cab, there was plenty of power on tap, no need to add an extra cab in - or at least that`s what I found. Sure the 210 should be plenty loud enough, I`ve seen many use a 210 Markbass combo and it was plenty loud, but if size/weight isn`t a restriction then the 410 will have more to it due to there being four speakers instead of two. More speakers - especially if using the same type - means a bigger sound, rather than louder, but it does give the impression of being louder. For this reason I can`t use my two Barefaced Super 12 cabs together aside from at the biggest venues as the sheer size and depth of the bass is just too much.

If you have a 210 at 4 and 410 at 8...the 210 will get more of a load and struggle whereas the 410 will tick over
and this is a balance to avoid
If you had a 410 at 4 and and a 210 at 8, that would be a better spread.
I do this with a 212 at 4 but ldeally you want a stereo amp to level up both cabs
properly. But you amp wont be able to handle those combined impedences anyway.

My next amp move will do this...I'm looking for a nice pre with a stereo amp underneath
to take place of the TH500, most likely

I've been running various amps into an 8 ohm markbass 410 for years and never been lacking in power. Used to use . 500w F1 head which meant I was getting about 300w and it was only ever turned up past halfway a handful of times...

Now I'm using a 400w valve amp which can be switched to run at 8 ohms and Ive never turned it up past about 1.5 (out of 10!)