Why become a member? ×

RIP Grooveshark

Kiwi

They were my preferred music provider - they had lots of great ambient, house and funk tracks and helped me discover music from Rykksopp, Tycho and Grant Edwards. But I never knew they were unlicensed.

[url="http://grooveshark.com/"]http://grooveshark.com/[/url]

[i][color=#333333]Dear music fans,[/color]

[color=#333333]Today we are shutting down Grooveshark.[/color]

[color=#333333]We started out nearly ten years ago with the goal of helping fans share and discover music. But despite best of intentions, we made very serious mistakes.[/color]

[color=#333333]We failed to secure licenses from rights holders for the vast amount of music on the service.[/color]

[color=#333333]That was wrong. We apologise. Without reservation.[/color]

[color=#333333]As part of a settlement agreement with the major record companies, we have agreed to cease operations immediately, wipe clean all of the record companies’ copyrighted works and hand over ownership of this website, our mobile apps and intellectual property, including all our patents and copyrights.[/color]

[color=#333333]At the time of our launch, few music services provided the experience we wanted to offer — and think you deserve. Fortunately, that’s no longer the case. There are now hundreds of fan-friendly, affordable services available for you to choose from, including Spotify, Deezer, Google Play, Beats Music, Rhapsody and Rdio, among many others.[/color]

[color=#333333]If you love music and respect the artists, songwriters and everyone else who makes great music possible, use a licensed service that compensates artists and other rights holders. You can find out more about the many great services available where you live here:[/color][url="http://whymusicmatters.com/find-music"]http://whymusicmatters.com/find-music[/url][color=#333333].[/color]

[color=#333333]It has been a privilege getting to know so many of you and enjoying great music together. Thank you for being such passionate fans.[/color]

[color=#333333]Yours in music,[/color]
[color=#333333]Your Friends At Grooveshark[/color][/i]

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1430488560' post='2761959']

I wouldn't have thought it would have much effect on content creators.

S.P.
[/quote]

I second this.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1430488560' post='2761959']
I wouldn't have thought it would have much effect on content creators.

S.P.
[/quote]

One less company taking their product without paying for it...

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1430489049' post='2761965']
One less company taking their product without paying for it...
[/quote]

Ah yes, because now Grooveshark is gone, all the people that were listening to music for free will suddenly repent their sinful ways and start paying for music instead. Meanwhile, record company executives across the globe are thinking "hmmm, it's a bit unfair that I've got multiple houses in various countries, and all these Bentleys and Lamborghinis, while my artists get a pitiful slice of the pie. I'm turning over a new leaf!"

Hooray, everything is awesome!

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1430489424' post='2761972']
Ah yes, because now Grooveshark is gone, all the people that were listening to music for free will suddenly repent their sinful ways and start paying for music instead. Meanwhile, record company executives across the globe are thinking "hmmm, it's a bit unfair that I've got multiple houses in various countries, and all these Bentleys and Lamborghinis, while my artists get a pitiful slice of the pie. I'm turning over a new leaf!"

Hooray, everything is awesome!

S.P.
[/quote]

Something like that :)

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1430494418' post='2762052']
My preferred site as well.

I might have to resort to last.fm :(
[/quote]

Isn't that a subscribe service now? It's not as good as it was, I know that. It was my favourite site about 5 years ago. I got into so many new bands listening to Last Fm. Type in the name of a band I liked, and have endless songs of suggested similar bands streamed to me. Every so often something I really liked would pop up, and I'd have to race to the computer to see who it was, as you couldn't rewind/repeat a track. But probably 4 years ago they changed the format somehow and it's never worked for me since.

Edited by cameltoe

Damn, I used to use Grooveshark to listen to an album. If I liked it, I went and bought it (ah memories of the listen pods in music shops). I have discovered and purchased albums from many bands that I had not heard of or would have otherwise struggled to hear their music because of this.

Edited by DorsetBlue