Why become a member? ×

Playing with yerself

anaxcrosswords

Because we rehearse regularly enough and I’m so familiar with the material anyway, when I practice at home I call up my MP3 folder and rummage through non-band songs. There will always be something I try for the first time, but I’ll also gravitate to one or two irresistible songs which I know off by heart but can’t get enough of playing. In my case there are two – technically very easy but I love them;
[b]Starlight [/b]by [i]Muse [/i](albeit without synth patch)
and the rather obscure [b]Alive [/b]by [i]Arrows To Athens[/i].
I say technically easy – in truth I’m trying to nail lead vox as well, so they’re a bit more of a challenge. For matching vox to non-standard bass rhythm, 'Alive' is a fantastic exercise.

Anyway, how about you? Are there a very small number of songs you always pick for a self-indulgent thrash?

At the moment I`m loving playing along to The Ballad of JJ Decay by The Anti Nowhere League. My other faves are Burning Love by Elvis Presley, Pump It Up by Elvis Costello, and Perry Boys and Better Start Running by The Old Firm Casuals.

Edited by Lozz196

I like playing through the first four tracks on 'Wasting Light' by Foo Fighters, 'Feathers', 'Running Free' and a few more from Coheed, 'There is a Light That Never Goes Out' by The Smiths (though I always destroy the chorus...), and some Weezer recently.

At the moment it's Gimme Shelter. I just seem to be drawn to it every time I pick up the bass to practice

Another one I play just for fun is the Pretender by the Foo Fighters It was one that we considered doing with my old band, so I went ahead and learned it. But we could never really make it work :-(
But I still love playing it, and belting out backing vocals in the privacy of my own home! :-)

Yeah there's a few!

I love playing Aretha Franklin's 'Natural Woman' and 'Border Song', 'Celebration' by Kool and the Gang and 'Lost in Music' by Sister Sledge.

I used to love playing through RATM's first album but haven't got the time anymore :(