Why become a member? ×

Kala U Bass. Fretted or fretless?

Dazed

So the suns been out for a while now and,probably like the rest of you,I'm thinking "what can I annoy strangers and friends alike with in the coming summer months"

Aha a bass uke!

Experienced users opinions sought please.

Is the fretless a bit of a nightmare intonation wise? (Worse than a standard scale fretless)

Is the fretted any good for a faux DB type sound.

Thanks all

It's the fretted one that is a bit of a nightmare intonation wise, at least beyond the 7th fret. At least with the fretless you can stay in tune with enough skill. Violinists can manage it!

Another thing is that it's nigh on impossible to do vibrato or bends on fretted - the strings are so stretchy that they hardly change pitch when bent. Not a problem when you can slide on a fretless. Also you can get string rattles on the fretted one if you don't press right behind the fret, I hear the fretless is a lot more forgiving in this aspect.

I've had the fretted one but would choose fretless next time around.

I have a Harley Benton fretless bass ukulele and get on okay with the intonation. I have a wee riff that goes up to the 9th fret on the G string I always play flat unless I concentrate properly. Other than that, it's all good - love the sound of it. To point out - I don't ever play an electric fretless.

George

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not an experienced U-bass player by any means
I had an Ashbory, which is fretless

It produced a great sound. But I found the intonation very tricky
This was partly down to the strings - they were very "rubbery" and had quite a lot of drag
But I think the tiny differences between notes, higher up the neck were also proving difficult for me

Last week, I tried a Kala fretless, and then a fretted
I have to say, I really liked them both
The strings were much better than the ones on my old Ashbory (which I think were Aquilla Thunderguts)

But overall for me, I think the fretted was that bit easier, intonation-wise
I didn't particularly experiment with sounds and bending strings
But I was hitting the right notes more often on the fretted

Of course, with practice, this should improve
I would point out, that I play normal long-scale bass guitar, and Double Bass
So maybe the smaller distances between notes are more problematic for my fat fingers?

Loved the sound of the Kala though
So I'm seeking one out this very minute
It's going to be good for busking, for travel and for open-mics and a folk club I regularly jam at :)

Edited by Marc S

I have both a fretted (SUB Bass) and a fretless UBASS. I will take the fretless over a fretted anyday. They just give it more of that upright factor I like. The Sub Bass is very particular when playing it because if you're off the tinest on the first 2 or 3 frets it buzzes badly.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone got an idea what other makes / brands of suitable string there are for these?
I'm after something with a bit more tension.....

I had some Thunderguts on the Ashbory I used to have
But I didn't really like the "feel" of those strings.....

I have the fretted because I wanted to get something to play as soon as possible (was going crazy not being able to play a full-sized bass) and I've never played fretless before. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the intonation is pretty good, having heard many horror stories about it. It's about as good as my other basses/guitars, besides my P-bass which is nigh-on perfect. It's a funny little thing. I've been playing it exclusively for 2 months now and today I tried my P-bass again for a quick noodle. I found myself feeling a little dissapointed as the P-bass sounds thin and clanky compared to the fat, warm sound of the ukulele when plugged in.

I have the Kala Rumbler, which is their entry level one. I did not go for another brand as the Harley Benton one is bigger (in body, not scale) and I wanted small as possible and the Luna one is pitched an octave higher. I didn't see any other brands and the Kala at least I could try in a nearby store.

Here is a video of me playing it. Please excuse the playing, I made it for feedback on another site. What you hear is the the ukuele being played through my Fender Rumble picked up by the camera mic. I have others when using the DI if you're interested. Judge for yourself the uprightness of the tone.

[media]http://vimeo.com/130233183[/media]

Edited by Heket

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1433863027' post='2794658']
Fretted or Fretless - dunno, but I witnessed one being played recently; it was fretted and it sounded fantastic - in fact it caught me completely by surprise, the owner said he preferred the fretted version for reasons of intonation.
[/quote]

Having played both recently, and having gone for a fretted,
I chose the fretted for intonation reasons too....

I found hitting the right note easier on the fretted
With the fretless, I thought I'd be hitting the wrong notes
i.e. overshooting the mark on my left hand more,
as I get used to the smaller differences between notes
(sometimes, switching between DB and BG is enough hassle lol)

Having played the fretted for a little while now,
I'm glad to say, I think I made the right choice
For me anyway, it seems to make it simpler when switching between 3 different scaled instruments

I tend not to play the highest notes on the Uke bass
but when I do, intonation seems fine
Also, I haven't noticed any of fret buzzing issues that fretlessguy has come across....

However, if fretless is your "thing" then I'd recommend just getting one of these little beauties anyday
It really is an immense sound, and I've had loads of comments and observations by musicians and non-musicians
So many people just seem blown away by the huge sound :)

PS. Any thoughts on other brands than Kala?
PPS. Any thoughts on other brands of strings?

I've got the Kala Fretted, I tried a Korala one and an ohana one at the same shop and the Kala came out on top, the other two each had little things that didn't quite sit right, one had no access panel in the back for string changing, the other had the panel but it was held on with screws which weren't flush to the body (in at the wrong angle)

I played them back to back over the space of about 40 minutes and the Kala was the most rounded so I bit the bullet and paid the extra money. i've used it plenty since and haven't regretted he purchase one bit.

I did try some fretless ones a good while ago but I'm just not a fretless guy.

Matt