Why become a member? ×

Passive bass musings

40hz

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1428858078' post='2745331']
The last two basses I've bought have had active/passive switches so you can play in either. I think it's something that should be on all active basses.

It gives a lot of options...
[/quote]

+1 to that - on the G&L L1505 it's like a vintage/modern switch!

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1428864073' post='2745449']
Sometimes, the almost limitless pallet of sounds an active bass allows you to use works against you, in that you always feel there is a better sound somewhere else in there. It gives you a feeling of not being satisfied, or missing out on that elusive killer tone. With a passive, you are far more limited, and learn to make do, which forces you to create in a much more focused way. I have found after years of various active basses, I was relying on the bass to find me 'that sound', and sometimes I was lucky enough to drop on it...( this with ref to all venues need a different sound, and no setting suits all.) A few weeks ago I blew the cobwebs of a Yamaha BB 2024 after giving up on it as being inferior to my active Mike Lull. After a half hour or so, I began listening to the bass, instead of what was missing compared to the active sound, and I realised I was hearing a much more 'real' and open sound rather than that almost overworked and hyper sensitive sound I was used to from actives. Perhaps my perception has always been (without knowing it) that active basses had to be better because they had 'more' of everything. I have now deliberately painted myself into a corner, and have chosen to limit myself by using my passive again, and the difference is little short of amazing. I feel I am far more responsible for how it sounds, rather than a part owner of it. There is far more to active or passive than just the bass itself... It's far more about what's in your head than in the bass itself.
[/quote]

Interesting post! However, an active tone circuit doesn't bother me, it's just another tool in the box (fnarr). I find that very small adjustments work best anyway. I like having the option and there are situations where passive is preferable and vice-versa. As Marvin said, it's good have have an active/passive switch, then you can have the best of both worlds with the same bass. I'm talking about the Sire MM V7 here, and I think he is too. ;)

Edited by discreet

I completely agree with you Discreet..... All I was trying to say in my post was that I personally lost sight of how good an un-enhanced bass sounds. It's like having 1000 tv channels... constantly flicking between channels, looking and hoping for something better.The more choice you have, the more dissatisfied you can become. All of my active basses have had the ability, either through a switch or a stacked knob to go passive or active. I found my main problem with this was always why switch an active bass, with all it's whistle and bells off, and go passive... I realise its a stupid thing to not be able to do, but that is just my own personal mind set. However, take a passive bass on stage, and this choice, or thought process no longer exists. In know way am I criticising active basses...on the contrary, I swear by them, but after years of playing one, and viewing passive instruments as inferior, I am really enjoying the pleasure of enforced restriction, and how It is helping me re think sound structure, with a very limited set of brackets to work within.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1428876857' post='2745638']
All I was trying to say in my post was that I personally lost sight of how good an un-enhanced bass sounds.
[/quote]

Easily done and there's a lot to be said for keeping it simple, especially live.
I'm looking forward to picking up another bass in a week or two... passive.

I really don't understand the big fuss about active vs passive basses, because IMO the sound of the bass is a combination of everything in the signal chain from the strings to the loudspeakers. Since a bass makes no usable sound without amplification, everything in the signal chain has to be taken into account.

Personally I'm not a fan of active instruments not because of a lack of purity of tone (whatever that means) but because with a few exceptions (Alembic, Wal, ACG) a built-in pre-amp offers nothing that can't already be done with the controls on your amp.

I've found many times that built-in pre-amps are being used in conjunction with the tone controls on the amp to massively boost a frequency range beyond what the single set of tone controls can provide, in which case I would suggest that the player has the wrong gear for the sound that they want, or one set of tone controls is effectively cancelling out the other making both redundant!

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1428858078' post='2745331']
The last two basses I've bought have had active/passive switches so you can play in either. I think it's something that should be on all active basses.

[/quote]

I'm inclined to agree, just to satisfy my own curiosity - anyone know how difficult it might be to fit one to a Warwick/Rockbass Corvette?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1428924453' post='2745936']
Personally I'm not a fan of active instruments not because of a lack of purity of tone (whatever that means) but because with a few exceptions (Alembic, Wal, ACG) a built-in pre-amp offers nothing that can't already be done with the controls on your amp.
[/quote]

Except buffering the signal so the length of your cable doesn't matter.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1428953064' post='2746404']
Except buffering the signal so the length of your cable doesn't matter.
[/quote]

TBH I've never noticed the length of any cable that I've ever used having any effect on the sound of my bass or guitar, but then I've always used good quality cables and connectors and never gone any longer than 10m.

Also affected by the input of your amp. A passive bass will sound different with different amps in a way that an active bass wouldn't.

ie, although different amps sound different, an active bass presents the same signal to the amplifier, which a passive bass doesn't.
Personally I would prefer an active bass with no tone controls to a passive bass, if I had to use different amplifiers, assuming it was a reasonable preamp circuit.

I've not noticed a difference in clarity between active and passive basses in general. I don't think it's possible to generalize. I think the factors lie more with the individual pieces of equipment and/or how they work together.

I'm personally not a fan of passive basses. I prefer to leave my amp fairly flat and adjust my tone at my bass. Works better for me. The controls are within inches of my hand. I can switch between basses that are very different from each other without touching my amp's controls. Also, some active preamps do colour the tone a bit, which I actually like. Gives it a little extra mojo.

I also find passive basses tougher to dial in. With a passive tone control, it seems like it's either too bright or too dark. I prefer individual controls for bass, mids, and treble so I can really get it exactly where I want it.

Ive come to learn its all about frequencies. a passive bass sits in the mix perfectly..................... providing the guitarist isnt using some processor and the keyboards are not all circa 1980 something.
I saw somewhere (on here in the forums in fact) two old professional bass players talking about when they started moding their old precisions because of all the new sounds coming through about 1980 from the keyboards and big drum sounds eating up all the bass in the mix. Then the guitarists started using guitar processors so then it all got silly active.
there are some active circuits that are classic and work fantastic like a Music Man bass but dont forget that circuit is married to the perfect pickup for it.
I think a lot of manufactures these days dont even know why they are putting what they put in the bass, they just assume its what we want and need. Or possibly its to make that instrument stand out.
From personal experience: For many years (bout 25ish) other experienced musicians that I was in a band with at any given time would say to me ; just get a fender passive Jazz. Its what your looking for. But I was convinced more is more and........ more money spent meant its got to be better.
About 5 years ago I was told by a guitarist that was employing me that if I didnt turn up with a Fender then dont bother he will find someone else as he was pissed off with the constant fiddling and lack of "bass".
I went out and got one just to prove him wrong and all of a sudden theres the sound.From Jaco to Marcus and every thing else. For Real. Every time. Its a passive bass and the days of fiddling are long gone.
So all I guess I'm trying to say is if you find you are always trying to get "that sound" with active and havn't tried a passive then you may find you get a pleasant surprise.
If active is your thing then all the best to you. This is just how it worked out for me :)

If your passive bass sounds different to your active bass, and all other things are considered, either you like the tonal correction of the input of the amp or there is something wrong with your preamp.
A perfect preamp should make no tonal change of your pickups, and if it does it is faulty.

The only other tone change will be the impedance of the cable (which can be high on a long / cheap cable), which will reduce your high frequencies, or any capacitance in the input stage of your preamp of your amplifier. So if you prefer the tone of your bass on all amplifiers when played passive, just turn the treble down a bit.

There are some odd things talked about active basses - All you are doing by going active is moving the preamp from after the cable to before the cable.

Edited by Woodinblack