Why become a member? ×

My Super Compact experience - Because we need another Barefaced thread

Guest monsterthompson

Guest monsterthompson

Had a chance to take my Super Compact out on Saturday along with a Hathor 1203.

At home, the 1203 and the SC played well together and I expected them to pair well at full volume. The first time I paired them was when I first got the SC and nostatic and I met up for a gear comparison. His 1203 didn't pair well. I don't know if there has been SC break-in or if Duke altered the 1203 formula on newer models.

I played with my usual crew of old band mates. Drums, vox, keys through the PA, and a Line 6 212 guitar combo. Indie rock, 90's ish material with some metal and punk influences at times. We get stupid loud and the guitar is usually uncompressed and big. The keys sometimes have big, bass heavy patches. Drummer/vox is unrestrained and hits hard. We aren't bad, but we are unrefined.

I started plugging my P bass into my Tonehammer pedal into the power section of a Genz Shuttle 9.0. I got to the rehearsal space early so I could experiment. Plugging into just the 1203 I got a nice tone. It wasn't terribly loud nor bassy, but it was in line with my expectations. I figured I'd need both cabs to keep up based on prior experience in this setting.

Next, I tried the SC solo at the same settings; I just swapped the power amp speaker cable. At the same settings, the SC was noticeably louder and the low frequencies dwarfed what the 1203 had put out. I had previously tried the SC with a a Super Midget and briefly tried them each solo. Based on my memory, the Hathor was closer to the SMidget in terms of lows and volume, for what my memory is worth.

Once the rest of the band arrived, I tried pushing the first hour with just the SC, and it worked like a charm. Great tone. Plenty of lows. Shocking volume from a 112 cab weighing less than 25lbs. The tone was great. It took EQ well, and pushing my AGS, Agro, and/or Blower Box pedals didn't make it flinch. At one point, the limit light on the amp went on when I had the Blower on with a healthy bass boost. A quick EQ adjustment and all was well.

I honestly expected a 112 cab to have a hard time keeping up with this group based on having played a variety of amp and cab combos with these guys over the years. The Super Midget solo couldn't do it the last time I played with them. This time the SC held up for 3 hours of bashing, all alone and without a complaint. I'm quite impressed.

I think I've got a legit 1-cab solution. The Hathor and/or Super Midget seems to be a luxury. They could help in even louder settings, but since they are so similar I think having both of them might not make sense. The Hathor does seem to do a better job of polite, HiFi sounds with my gear, but that isn't really my goal so I haven't toyed with it much. Though going right into the Genz and bypassing the Tonehammer will get me near there with the SM.

I'm a pretty GAS-y guy, but I'm having hard time imagining wanting or needing another cab at this point. I can see how the a Super Twin would be a total monster. If I was gigging in a louder band, that cab might make sense.

Edited by monsterthompson

I played two gigs this weekend, Friday I used my two Super Compacts and sunday I went through the in-house Marshall 4x10, there is a world of difference in the quality and volume between these two set-ups, it seemed that I had notes missing with the Marshall because the cab was not clear enough and the bottom was muddy, never again will I use inferior cabs ! :( :)

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1428448458' post='2741466']
I've used a single super compact for over a year now. Best one cab solution out there.
[/quote]

I think I will cash in my Compact and Midget to get one of these. One cab has to be the way forward for me. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428489323' post='2741689']
You can't have too many Barefaced threads! :)
I have a one-cab solution too, but it's not a Barefaced... so I'm going to stand over here in the corner with a lampshade on my head.
[/quote]

You might get mistaken for that singer Sia who was on the tele programme with that Micheal McEntire the other day

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1428491541' post='2741716']
You might get mistaken for that singer Sia who was on the tele programme with that Micheal McEntire the other day
[/quote]

I doubt it - she's Australian. And a woman. Nice lampshade, though.

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1428492395' post='2741725']
Normal Wednesday for you then?? ;)
[/quote]

Actually no - I'm usually hiding in a litter bin in Dulwich Park.

And now, back on topic - Barefaced cabs are great! Buy one! :D

First gig with my super compacts will be this weekend - trying them with my ashdown abm evo ii for a few gigs at first, then I'll decide if I need / want to change the amp to a lightweight. Seems silly that the amp head actually weighs more than one of the cabs!!

Yeah it's obvious that any manufacturing time issues are well and truly behind them - my 2 SC's took 3 weeks and 2 days from paying the deposit to being delivered!, including the easter break. Alex quoted me 2/3 weeks and he delivered!

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1428658726' post='2743425']
Trust me, an EVO II through two Super Compacts is an incredible sound :) Let us know how you get on!
[/quote]

Will do Merton! Gonna fire them up tonight at home (not for long - I get on with my neighbours at the moment!!) :lol: :ph34r:

Really looking forward to hearing them at gig volume tomorrow night tho! Pictures will be taken!

• 3 weeks later...

I have done half-dozen gigs or so now with the Super Compact paired with a Little Mark 800 and this speaker can handle some serious volume and even more serious bottom end! I play mainly blues and reggae and the SC has coped with all I can throw at it,the LM800 puts out 500W @8 ohms and the SC can take it all! This concept is hard to take in at first if you're used to multiple speakers(surely a single 12" speaker can't cut it) but it really does work. Several bass players in the audience were amazed by the tone and clarity at high volume which,to me,says it all.If you use the SC with an amp that puts out around 500W @ 8 ohms then this is indeed a single-cab solution.An absolute must for the older bass players out there!! The only addition I would make to this set-up is a Barefaced 1x10" cab when Alex gets around to building it! Excellent job guys.