Why become a member? ×

The end of the creative Fender Japan range?

Chiliwailer

Whether you rate Fender Japan gear, or feel it's all hype, one thing for sure is that they always had creative models that offered something different and they had some great alternative reissue specs.

Check out the thread in the link below, looks like change may be on the horizon with FMIC taking control, possibly stopping production? It wouldn't be a surprise would it, especially given the ranges Mexico have been putting out.

http://offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=89854

Edited by Chiliwailer

Would the Modern Player series have something to do with this? If Fender are getting good quality out of China, they have less need for Japan.

Though, personally I think that if they have some Japanese production, there will be a market for people who want the instruments because they are made in Japan.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1428234854' post='2739370']
Would the Modern Player series have something to do with this? If Fender are getting good quality out of China, they have less need for Japan.

Though, personally I think that if they have some Japanese production, there will be a market for people who want the instruments because they are made in Japan.
[/quote]

Not to mention the Japanese market itself. I'm no big fan of Japanese popular music, by and large, but from what I have observed of it, it seems that seem "experimental" Fender style instruments are very popular.

I'm sure if fender have found a cheaper alternative to licensing / manufacturing basses in Japan they will happily compromise on quality. I'm sure the MIJ/CIJ stuff has put a lot of MIM/US production to shame for a couple of decades - particularly the base/standard models.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1428234854' post='2739370']

[/quote]

The Modern players have been discontinued, no more Chinese "Fenders" being produced.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1428502914' post='2741889']
The Modern players have been discontinued, no more Chinese "Fenders" being produced.
[/quote]

Lets hope so, They should only put Fender on the very best USA instruments in my opinion, get the brand back as a premium range instrument.
Anything else badge it squire.

People will pay for the right stuff.