Why become a member? ×

*Sold Pending the Usual*62 P-Bass Copy with Wizard Thumper

BassBunny

Whilst browsing in a Music Shop recently I spotted some "No Name" Fender copies and a 62P caught my eye. It looked really well put together and chatting with the owner it appears to have been made in the same factory that makes Tokai and SX. I have managed to compare the original hardware from it with an SX and it does seem to be the same. It has an amazing neck that is a simlar profile to a Jazz and has a lovely tinted laquer giving a nice aged look. So I bought it and threw all the hardware and electronics away, with the exception of the tuners and started a build.
The cavity has been lined with Copper. The scratchplate has been foil backed. A Wizard Thumper has been installed along with CTS Pots, Switchcraft Jack and Sprague capacitor. All wiring is in Vintage cloth covered wire and the pot/capacitor values were decided upon after a chat with Andy at Wizard pickups. The bridge has been replaced with a Wilkinson Vintage bridge with Brass Saddles. New string tree and Fecker transfer, (laquered over), complete the picture. I was going to put a set of Fender tuners on, but the original ones were better.
It sounds absolutely awesome. I cannot believe a bass that cost so little sounds so good. The neck is really nice to play and is dead straight. I wound my MarkBass up to max and plugged in and it is absolutely silent. Not a trace of earth hum.
I built this as an experiment and as I don't play 4 strings these days, have decided to sell it. It would make a perfect Bass for those "iffy" venues where you don't really want to take your Pride & Joy or a cheap back-up. It looks the part and sounds even better.
It cost around £250 in parts to build. Is absolutely brand spanking new and only completed a couple of weeks ago. Looking for £185 for a P-Bass that will stack up against any most of the Fender P-Bass's I have played.
Would also be interested in a deal involving an Amp Head. Need a back-up and particularly a 2U rack-mountable one

[attachment=12332:P_Bass__3_.JPG][attachment=12330:P_Bass.JPG]
[attachment=12331:P_Bass__2_.JPG][attachment=12333:P_Bass__4_.JPG]
[attachment=12334:P_Bass__5_.JPG][attachment=12335:P_Bass__6_.JPG]
[attachment=12336:P_Bass__7_.JPG]

Edited by BassBunny

All PM's replied to. Just to confirm, the Bass is brand spanking new. Any blemishes on the pics are reflections as the body has been polished up with Grover Grime Guard and you can see your face in it. Pics were taken outside on a rare sunny day......
Did think of "ageing" it, but decided against it.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='268544' date='Aug 23 2008, 05:59 PM']What was the original brand of the bass? Just like to keep my eye out for them in the future, it's hard to find good quality copies like the SXs![/quote]
Haven't a clue I'm afraid. They are marketed as "No Name" guitars as there is no decal etc on the headstock at all. The shop I got it from orders direct from the factory and thus knows what else they make.

[quote name='noisedude' post='268482' date='Aug 23 2008, 03:36 PM']Nice job mate. Another tempter.[/quote]
Cheers ND,
It has come out much much better than I originally thought. I just don't play 4 strings these days and have bought another 2 fives since this project.

Have had a number of enquiries from BCer's about splitting the Bass and selling the various parts. Althoiugh I would get what I wanted in terms of overall cash for the bass, I really don't want to do it at this stage.
It was a project I wanted to do and the results have far surpassed my expectations, so rather than break it up, I will keep it until the market improves. It sounds awesome and definately punches way above its weight.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='272596' date='Aug 29 2008, 02:48 PM']I know you don't do 4s particularly BB, but how about a swap for an electro-acoustic Washburn AB10, or a swap for my Six-string XB-600?
I'm even in Swinton this Sunday![/quote]
Unfortunately I don't really want anymore "incomings". I am prunning both the bass and Guitar collection but thanks for the offer.

• 2 weeks later...

This bass is a belter. I had the pleasure of playing it last week and the only reason I didn't buy it was I already have a damn good P-Bass. Bassbunny has done a marvellous job - the bass really is "as new" condition. It has a lovely low action and smooth neck, giving it great playability. The tone emphasises the mid-range a little more than the bottom end so it cuts through the mix a little better.

The overall quality is excellent - nothing cheap or bargain-bucket here. I was sorely tempted. I have a Tokai Hardpuncher and I'd say the quality and playability of Bassbunny's bass is pretty much on par with it. And that was the problem - his bass was too close to the one I have to make it a sensible buy - BB's is that good. For the money, BB's bass has to be a complete steal, I reckon.

Having played BB's bass, I now realise what I want next - a P-bass with a J-sound. See my posting under the general "Basses" thread. Also, I'm still looking for jam-mates - see my posting under "Bass players wanted/available" Thread. Sorry to drift towards selfishness there.

In case you're wondering, last week was the first time I'd ever met BB. He was so friendly and helpful, and I would have no hesitation buying from him.

Have a well-deserved bump, BB