Why become a member? ×

£765 for a Jazz copy? Or is it a Jap?

Or is it a Japanese Fender, I cant quite work it out? I'm sure the description could be far better...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-70s-Style-Jazz-Bass-with-Hard-Case-Made-In-Japan-1985-Fuji-gen-plant-/231507843417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35e6f15959"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35e6f15959[/url]

Edited by itsmedunc

He's claiming it's an '85 MIJ Fender, it appears to be "A" serial, which would be '85-86, so far so good...

I know my MIJ Squiers better than Fenders but I think the same rules apply - the A-serial makes this a "4th generation" MIJ Fender, so MIJ on the headstock rather than the heel should be right for '85. I presume the 3-bolt plate & bullet adjuster are also correct if this is a 70s reissue.

However, it's somewhat modded - Schaller 3D & battery box etc. Not too up on 80s MIJ Fender values, but this seems a bit pricey to me considering it's been mucked about with.

Jon.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1426807097' post='2722333']
That logo looks odd to me. Anyone else? Especially the 's/n' before the serial number. I've only seen that on Chinese Squier neck plates before and certainly not MIJ headstocks. But then I've never researched it so I'm likely wrong.
[/quote] the s/n typeface looks wrong too - theres a few other things that set the alarm bells ringing, but I would avoid this if it were me.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1426807097' post='2722333']
That logo looks odd to me. Anyone else? Especially the 's/n' before the serial number. I've only seen that on Chinese Squier neck plates before and certainly not MIJ headstocks. But then I've never researched it so I'm likely wrong.
[/quote]

I'm cursing my lack of pics now, but I had an A-series MIJ P (long-since sold) with a headstock serial, really can't remember if it had this though. Google shows that the majority of MIJ A-numbers are neckplate stamps, but I did find this thinline Tele:

Although this one's CIJ, so would be 90s and presumably Dyna/Tokai rather than Fujigen. Academic anyway, I agree it's too dodgy & too dear. Nice finish & wood though - reminds me of my old SQ Precision.

J.