Why become a member? ×

SHOW ME THE MONEY (now, or afterwards?)

lollington

[color=#333333][size=3]
[i]"...The remaining 50% of Fee is due immediately prior to Band's Show, but may be made earlier.[/i][/size][/color][color=#333333][size=3]
[i]4. [b]Cancellation. [/b]If full payment is not made by the time immediately prior to Band's Show, Show may be cancelled by Band, and Operator may not seek any damages."[/i][/size][/color][color=#333333][size=3]
I've nicked a basic live performance contract from the inter webs, there it is above. I've never played a gig whereby payment is more substantial than a few drinks at the bar, but this could become a regular thing for my new band, so I thought I'd do things proper-like. [/size][/color][color=#333333][size=3]
The contract above seems fair to me, but as a consumer I'd be happier paying for something after I've had the goods. Just seems a bit strange hunting down a bride or groom and getting them to dish out the dollars before they've had a chance to dance. Having said that, you don't pay for airfare when you get to your destination, so is there a proper way round for cash at gigs?[/size][/color][color=#333333][size=3]
Have you any experience when things have worked out in your favour or gone against you when taking payment? Does it rally matter? Cheers[/size][/color]

Contracts are a two way thing and using them means that you need to be aware that if you (a band) decide (or have to due to unforeseen circumstances) bail on a gig or booking, would the other party be entitled to remuneration/compensation?

Just playing 'Devil's Advocate'! ;)

chasing down a bride or groom or whoever at the end of the night (especially if they've had a bit to drink) is much harder. IME if you ask for payment before going on stage people are generally more forthcoming because they'll be entertained sooner. Whereas at the end of the night you may be left without payment and the person paying you nowhere to be seen.

Edited by Chrismanbass

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1425841908' post='2711370']
Contracts are a two way thing and using them means that you need to be aware that if you (a band) decide (or have to due to unforeseen circumstances) bail on a gig or booking, would the other party be entitled to remuneration/compensation?
[/quote]

Good point. How would this be built into the contract? We could find a dep if one member become sick, what what if something happened which meant that the entire band couldn't play? Does anyone have a clause which says that the band would pay £XXX to the organisers in such event?

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1425841908' post='2711370']

Just playing 'Devil's Advocate'! ;)
[/quote]
A friend of mine and promoter of big shows in the 70s/80s suffered serious financial loss when Prince "bailed" on him. The fee was never recovered.

Edited by SteveK

I've had the odd issue with attempted non-payment, best one was at a very swish golf club where my ex had to corner the booker in the Ladies loo - He promised to put a cheque through the next day - did too, but only because I'd gigged in the same social set for years & his name would have stunk....in answer to the above (just posted) - promoter would have a perfect right to sue if you incur them in a loss of income....I've been on both sides, as a promoter, I've never bothered, it's too much bother..........

:)

[quote name='lollington' timestamp='1425842903' post='2711386']
Good point. How would this be built into the contract? We could find a dep if one member become sick, what what if something happened which meant that the entire band couldn't play? Does anyone have a clause which says that the band would pay £XXX to the organisers in such event?
[/quote]

Finding a dep is perfectly acceptable. As for building a clause into a contract; I'd have thought that whatever you (the band) would expect in compensation from a client (pub/promoter/bride etc), that would have to be acceptable if roles were reversed.

[quote name='lollington' timestamp='1425841528' post='2711360']
[color=#333333][size=3]
[i]"...The remaining 50% of Fee is due immediately prior to Band's Show, but may be made earlier.[/i][/size][/color][color=#333333][size=3]
[i]4. [b]Cancellation. [/b]If full payment is not made by the time immediately prior to Band's Show, Show may be cancelled by Band, and Operator may not seek any damages."[/i][/size][/color][color=#333333][size=3]
I've nicked a basic live performance contract from the inter webs, there it is above. I've never played a gig whereby payment is more substantial than a few drinks at the bar, but this could become a regular thing for my new band, so I thought I'd do things proper-like. [/size][/color][color=#333333][size=3]
The contract above seems fair to me, but as a consumer I'd be happier paying for something after I've had the goods. Just seems a bit strange hunting down a bride or groom and getting them to dish out the dollars before they've had a chance to dance. Having said that, you don't pay for airfare when you get to your destination, so is there a proper way round for cash at gigs?[/size][/color][color=#333333][size=3]
Have you any experience when things have worked out in your favour or gone against you when taking payment? Does it rally matter? Cheers[/size][/color]
[/quote]

Played at a well known venue in Bristol some years ago and the crowd numbered about 6, against a fire limit of 250. I had to track down the promoter to the pub over the road to remind them about the payment we needed - and this was half way through the gig. I would normally have waited until post gig, but I had serious concerns about them doing one and leaving us skint, with hotels and fuel to pay for. They weren't happy, but sometimes it pays to be 6 foot plus and XXL! (Ironically, I'm the least physically confrontational person out, but a no nonsense attitude I find gets it done).

For weddings it's always money up front, as in 7 days prior, or, in extreme circumstances, on the day, in cash, but before a note is played. No notes = no notes.

Trying to find a pissed best man for the handing over of the cash, at midnight, and whilst he's trying to cop off with one of the bridesmaids, is not a recipe for fun. Especially if he's spent the money on ale - as I have experienced. You've played - they've had what they want, and it's now all uphill to get the fee.

If you need to cancel, either get a replacement band if time permits, or, failing that, humble apologies and a full refund is all you can do. No compensation beyond your fee.

Edited by The Admiral

With weddings and formal events you'll ask for the money to be paid, in full, at least 72 hours before you're due to arrive at the venue. Cheques should be recieved at least 7 working days before the event. My band secures a 20% deposit at least 4 months (120 days) before the event. The deposit secures the date for customer and is non-refundable if the function is cancelled by the organisers for whatever reason.

If the full payment hasn't been recieved by the time that the band is due to arrive, then you don't play. Simple as that!

If there's a disaster and the band can't play (after full payment is recieved), a refund in full is suitable compensation.

You don't have to stick to the generic internet contract - for functions/weddings etc I'd change it to full payment x days in advance, no one wants to talk money on those big days. As for pubs; hunting out the promoter at the end of the night is just part of the fun!