Why become a member? ×

Fender Prices

Thunderbird

Just wondered am I missing something with Fenders? as some of the used MIM basses and CIJ are nearly as much as some of the USA ones and they seem to be selling so am a touch bemused I like Fenders and I know that regardless of origin you get a good one or a dog so what gives?

With their financial situation - aren't they millions in the red? - I think that they're expecting buyers to clear their debts for them after years of mismanagement. In the meantime all the competition has caught up with them and are now building BETTER basses.

I can understand a CIJ being similar to a USA in price (second hand at least) but I don't understand why a MIM would command USA prices. But as you say there are good ones and dogs whether MIM, CIJ or USA, so I suppose you have to judge them on their individual merits.

I have a 2012/2013 precision mim and it's a far better instrument than the early 90's one I had. The neck is fantastic, an utter joy to play. Not much to tell between it and my mates mia to be honest. Maybe we're getting to a point where a fender standard is a fender standard, origin being less of a guide on quality than in years gone by. Played my ibby sr600 tonight though, I forgot how good it is :P

Edited by stubass

I have a 2013 Japanese Non Export 62RICS Jazz Bass which I bought new.
Price wise, it was similar to a USA standard and a lot cheaper than a US Custom Shop.
It is streets ahead of any other Jazz (MIA, MIACS, MIJ, CIJ, MIM etc.) in quality, finish, playability and sound that I have played over the years.
However, I was yet to discover Limelight basses at the time of purchase.
I'm now thinking of selling it to finance a Limelight.

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1425799584' post='2710701']
I have a 2013 Japanese Non Export 62RICS Jazz Bass which I bought new.
Price wise, it was similar to a USA standard and a lot cheaper than a US Custom Shop.
It is streets ahead of any other Jazz (MIA, MIACS, MIJ, CIJ, MIM etc.) in quality, finish, playability and sound that I have played over the years.
However, I was yet to discover Limelight basses at the time of purchase.
I'm now thinking of selling it to finance a Limelight.
[/quote] Never played a Lime and I hate any form/brand of relics but slightly off topic I would be interested to know what hardware, body's necks and pups they have. Anyway on topic I have seen some 90's early 2000 Mex Fenders up for like 700 quid and they sell surely a MIM of that age even in great condition is only worth about 300 tops? maybe they are being bought by people who dont know about all the different Fender variations and just they are getting a bargain Fender?

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1425813651' post='2710884']
Never played a Lime and I hate any form/brand of relics but slightly off topic I would be interested to know what hardware, body's necks and pups they have. Anyway on topic I have seen some 90's early 2000 Mex Fenders up for like 700 quid and they sell surely a MIM of that age even in great condition is only worth about 300 tops? maybe they are being bought by people who dont know about all the different Fender variations and just they are getting a bargain Fender?
[/quote]

What! :/

My early 90's p was junk! Buzzed like a peed off bee and the neck was as rough as me this morning after six pints of Stella! Maybe their "vintage" now, I keep forgetting how long ago it is, I still think 95 was 10 years ago sometimes :P my one died from being in a damp garage for too long, still have the body but the neck was wrecked.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1425813651' post='2710884']
Never played a Lime and I hate any form/brand of relics but slightly off topic I would be interested to know what hardware, body's necks and pups they have. Anyway on topic I have seen some 90's early 2000 Mex Fenders up for like 700 quid and they sell surely a MIM of that age even in great condition is only worth about 300 tops? maybe they are being bought by people who dont know about all the different Fender variations and just they are getting a bargain Fender?
[/quote]

Does it matter what name, place of manufacture, what it's made of or how old it is if the bl**dy thing plays right, sounds right, [b]you [/b]are happy with the colour scheme and you want it to play, not hang it on the wall?

Price is the money that people pay for something they want and shouldn't be confused with the cost of manufacture.

I make the decision that if I want something then I judge the what the maximum price is of what I would pay for it.

It's my decision in the end and I don't give a flying f*** about what anybody else thinks.

In my world the same goes for cars, washing machines, beer, etc. ad nauseum.

I don't hold with this argument...there was a time when you could pick up a Wal for a few hundred quid - were they worth less or was it just that people wouldn't pay a "reasonable" price at that time?? Those same basses are now "worth" several thousand pounds, nothing has changed with the bass itself , just the marketplace. If somebody is only prepared to pay £xx today doesn't mean that it's still not worth £xx+ just that it's harder to find a buyer at the asking price.

IMO Market forces only decide what people will pay NOT the value. Telling me that you're only prepared to pay £xx for my xxx bass doesn't mean that's all it's worth - try an ACG and tell me that I'm wrong.

Sorry for going OT.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1425826486' post='2711099']
I don't hold with this argument...there was a time when you could pick up a Wal for a few hundred quid - were they worth less or was it just that people wouldn't pay a "reasonable" price at that time?? Those same basses are now "worth" several thousand pounds, nothing has changed with the bass itself , just the marketplace. If somebody is only prepared to pay £xx today doesn't mean that it's still not worth £xx+ just that it's harder to find a buyer at the asking price.

IMO Market forces only decide what people will pay NOT the value. Telling me that you're only prepared to pay £xx for my xxx bass doesn't mean that's all it's worth - try an ACG and tell me that I'm wrong.

Sorry for going OT.
[/quote]

Thank you.
Exactly my point. I will only pay what I think the article, in this case Fender or Fender clones, is worth to me.
Thus, me and my individual market.

Edited by Jazzneck

Just got myself a (new) MIM Precision and it's a joy to play. It was ~ £500 and a US instrument would've been £800+. That's not nearly the same price to me, and the quality still feels pretty high.

Edited by HMX

I got a Mexican jazz last year at a bargain price. I had it set up professionally and now all my musical buddies that play it reckon it's one of the best they've ever played! It's just a stock item with decent strings on and a proper set up.

That's my contribution :)