Why become a member? ×

I'm coming around to Snarky Puppy. God help me innit.

xilddx

Some folks are still composing and playing brass band music, despite Elgar having been dead for decades. There's nothing wrong with being in the same 'genre' as another; it's all good. Stuff doesn't have to be revolutionary every time (although new stuff is good, too, or can be...). As for these kids, they may not be breaking new ground with every note, but they're not doing too badly in their style. Imo, of course, but I prefer listening to this stuff (from whatever era, played by whomsoever...) than a great deal of 'rock' stuff, or (shudder...) regurgitated eternal blues. Not too keen on 'funk', either. :mellow:

Elgar only wrote one piece for brass band, Severn Suite.

Personally I'm in the loathe weather report camp love the pups, but it goes to show it's not genre people like about music but atmosphere and chemistry. These tastes change over time, I've also got the steely dan bug after years of finding them awful. Maybe over time the huge degree I find weather report's vibe agitating will lessen!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1425732565' post='2710139']

Might get a tkt for the London one.

Bollocks, it's at the hideous Hammersmith Apollo.
[/quote]
I highly recommend you do, regardless of venue.
I went to see them at the Glee club in Brum which is a comedy venue so not best suited to this type of stuff but man, they got the place bouncing!
Hell, it's worth going just for ML's bass faces!

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1425760297' post='2710530']
I highly recommend you do, regardless of venue.
I went to see them at the Glee club in Brum which is a comedy venue so not best suited to this type of stuff but man, they got the place bouncing!
Hell, it's worth going just for ML's bass faces!
[/quote]

We'll see. I wanna dance, HA is sh*t for that.

Michael League's been watching too much Glenn Bulb.

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1425758127' post='2710503']
Elgar only wrote one piece for brass band, Severn Suite.

Personally I'm in the loathe weather report camp love the pups, but it goes to show it's not genre people like about music but atmosphere and chemistry. These tastes change over time, I've also got the steely dan bug after years of finding them awful. Maybe over time the huge degree I find weather report's vibe agitating will lessen!
[/quote]

Exactly what I'm on about.

I adore Deftones, can't handle Korn, adore John Taverner, can't get on with Delius, etc, etc.

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1425765335' post='2710575']
Exactly what I'm on about.

I adore Deftones, can't handle Korn, adore John Taverner, can't get on with Delius, etc, etc.
[/quote]

I'm the same. I like Nige, but can't abide that xilddx bloke. :mellow:

:lol: :P

I saw Snarky Puppy last year and had looked forward to it for months. The big problem for me was they tried to play it like a big rock show in a place with terrible acoustics, and all the subtlety was lost. I can't speak for the smaller venues they played, but for me, their sound just didn't translate to the big format.
Despite all that, I still quite enjoyed the show, but felt it could have been so much better in a more intimate setting. I know some of the venues were smaller for that tour and was quite gutted not to have seen them in that atmosphere.

I'm aiming to go see them again. I enjoyed the atmosphere of the Scala gig but, as I wrote on here at the time, all rows in front of me & my girls were Giants so we didn't see much.

I completely agree on the "love an artist not a whole genre" point. Most of the fuzak that Bilbo lists leaves me cold whereas I really enjoy the Pups. I'm not into music that is merely admirable, there has to be some connection at a emotional level.

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1425795010' post='2710684']
I'm aiming to go see them again. I enjoyed the atmosphere of the Scala gig but, as I wrote on here at the time, all rows in front of me & my girls were Giants so we didn't see much.

I completely agree on the "love an artist not a whole genre" point. Most of the fuzak that Bilbo lists leaves me cold whereas I really enjoy the Pups. I'm not into music that is merely admirable, there has to be some connection at a emotional level.
[/quote]

Bilbo mentioned Frank Gambale. He represents the very worst excesses of the Jazz Fusion genre for me. Seemed to me to be an excuse to show off compositional and technical chops. I met him at a guitar show many years ago, he was ripping soulless arpeggios at the speed of light, this was when he had a GP column. I bought the album, it was pretty awful apart from one piece.

Snarky Puppy seem to celebrate MUSIC, not use music as a medium to keep one's skills in shape.

YMMV