Why become a member? ×

Public Liability Insurance Question ??

KennysFord

Hey all,
A quick question re Public Liability Ins' if I may....
I need to find some new rehearsal facilities and the School where I work is a good option but I need said cover.
I've seen a few that ask for the names of the band members but seeing as it's a start up and I'll be embarking on auditions that won't be an option. Can any of you guys recommend somewhere that will use the name of the band leader, ie, me only and the rest of the band are covered by default.
Many thanks in advance,
Pete.
B)

Edited by kennyrodgers

Could you not take out the insurance in your name, then add newcomers progressively..? Shouldn't be that hard an administrative task..? What would happen if you had a fixed group, gave all the names, and then had a change of membership..? Must be similar, I'd have thought. Ask one of the insurers you've already found how it could work, maybe..?
Just a thought.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1425556045' post='2708498']

IIRC the MU liability cover requires all the band to be MU members.
[/quote]

Slight hint of panic there - you mean if the entire band is to be covered, yes? An individual member has their own stuff/liability covered. I hope!

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1425556265' post='2708502']

... and would that be a deal breaker..? :unsure:
[/quote]

I read from the OP that it will be difficult to name everyone who comes to play, eg auditionees, so individually adding them to a policy would be a PITA. Getting them all to join the MU would be unworkable

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1425556609' post='2708512']
I read from the OP that it will be difficult to name everyone who comes to play, eg auditionees, so individually adding them to a policy would be a PITA. Getting them all to join the MU would be unworkable
[/quote]

Surely only the permanent members are concerned, not the ones that turn up just once..? How about guests..? Spouses..? Parents that drop in to hear how it's going..? Everyone that walks in has to be covered..? Seems a bit extreme to me. The 'official' band members I could understand, but not each and every attendee, I'd have thought.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1425556869' post='2708515']

Surely only the permanent members are concerned, not the ones that turn up just once..? How about guests..? Spouses..? Parents that drop in to hear how it's going..? Everyone that walks in has to be covered..? Seems a bit extreme to me. The 'official' band members I could understand, but not each and every attendee, I'd have thought.
[/quote]

It's just what I read from the OP, that there are no permenant band members yet, so the insurance needs to cover whoever is playing at that time

Thanks for all the replies everyone,
I'm CRB'd gents, I work at the school so there's no problem where that's concerned, they're not worth the paper they're written on but that's a debate for another day I guess.
Anyhoo,
As I understand it it would be me that needs the Insurance but as it's for a band I need one that's flexible in that it doesn't name the other members due to the nature of auditions etc.
Cheers for now.
B)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1425556273' post='2708503']
Slight hint of panic there - you mean if the entire band is to be covered, yes? An individual member has their own stuff/liability covered. I hope!
[/quote]

As I understand it, the MU equipment cover is for each member individually. However for their PLI cover, all the musicians performing need their own. This wouldn't be a problem if all the musicians are MU members but can be complicated if some of the band are covered and some aren't. Plus some band equipment like PA and lights are owned by the band as a whole and not by any single member.

Imagine the situation if an audience member trips over equipment belonging to one band member with MU PLI cover and then falls into equipment belonging to another band member (who has different or no PLI cover) causing an actual injury. I wouldn't even want to think about how complicated or expensive that could be.

Don't know the law over there but, couldn't you incorporate the band, thereby making it a legal entity, insure the corporation, and then, simply have an insurance rider covering the employees of the corporation -- the band members?

Edited by dadofsix

Hi Guys,
I made a few calls and managed to finally find something suitable.
£5m cover for myself and up to four associates for £109 for the year with a company called Business Choice Direct Insurance Services.
It's great in the fact that the other band members don't have to be named and I can change the name of the Band once that has been decided, myself being the responsible party.
Stu,
I tried AmpBand first and they couldn't cover me as they need the names of the other band members from the get go. Thanks for the heads up though.
It was pretty straight forward with BCD, five minutes on the phone and bish bash bosh.
Thanks again all.
Pete.
B)

[quote name='dadofsix' timestamp='1425569307' post='2708711']
Don't know the law over there but, couldn't you incorporate the band, thereby making it a legal entity, insure the corporation, and then, simply have an insurance rider covering the employees of the corporation -- the band members?
[/quote]

If you make the band a legal entity you start having to appoint directors and file anual accounts to companies house and the tax man.