Why become a member? ×

Rubba Dub Dub

WILD FROG SHOT

With this post I am breaking my new topic cherry :brow: , hope you can help.

In my mission to become a more prolific and varied bass player, I am about to join an acoustic(ish) reggae/dub act to help them tie up their festival season of gigs, then possibly to play with them on a more permanent basis.

My current band (which I am not intending to leave) is an atmospheric post-rock band (my first pretentious love!), for which I am currently using a Standard Jazz, which really does the trick.

Along with a serious case of GAS, i've been thinking that a 5-string may be better suited for the new dub sounds i'm going to need to make.

Basically, I am looking to you guys & girls for suggestions of suitable 5-strings in the region of £500 - £750 (new or s/h). I was possibly thinking that a DBX 120 subharmonic synthesiser may also do the trick - has anyone got/played one and will it blow my cab?

Cheers!

Kieran

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='262501' date='Aug 14 2008, 03:39 PM']I wouldn't stress about getting a 5er. All those dubbers used 4s didn't they. Just turn up the bass up on the amp![/quote]

While I agree with that, the new dub sounds [i]are [/i]getting lower. There's a cracking Warwick Streamer 5er in the BC marketplace for £390.
I detune the low E to D on my 4 and that does the trick generally. Pump up the bass, turn off the treble, you should be fine. I wouldn't stress either. In fact I was chatting to the new bassist in ADF recently at one of our gigs and he got a Stingray 4 for his new gig. He also thought my 4 string Jack Bass was pumping serious reggae tone too, so I wouldn't worry too much mate. Good luck!

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='262498' date='Aug 14 2008, 03:34 PM']Can't help you with the Reggae I'm afraid, but Atmospheric Post-Rock...? That's my favourite kind! Webiste? Samples...?[/quote]

Yeah, it's really emotive and good for the soul (and really really pompous)

We don't really use this site for promo that much, but the whole of our last mini-album is at:

[url="http://www.last.fm/music/Light+of+Words"]http://www.last.fm/music/Light+of+Words[/url]

Alternatively:

[url="http://www.myspace.com/lightofwords"]http://www.myspace.com/lightofwords[/url]

Not sure that the tracks on there are completely representative of what we do.

Hopefully new full-length album coming in late Oct/Nov, with all new material. But for now, Thousand Year War, Stop Start, and Hold On Eyes Up are probably our best recorded tunes.

[quote name='silddx' post='262529' date='Aug 14 2008, 04:13 PM']While I agree with that, the new dub sounds [i]are [/i]getting lower. There's a cracking Warwick Streamer 5er in the BC marketplace for £390.
I detune the low E to D on my 4 and that does the trick generally. Pump up the bass, turn off the treble, you should be fine. I wouldn't stress either. In fact I was chatting to the new bassist in ADF recently at one of our gigs and he got a Stingray 4 for his new gig. He also thought my 4 string Jack Bass was pumping serious reggae tone too, so I wouldn't worry too much mate. Good luck![/quote]

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, looks like the Streamer is just about to be sold though which is a shame, looks ideal! Strange you should mention the Stingray 4, I've also made enquiries about one of those recently; had a feeling they would be good for the job. As you say, I should be fine, my head has a good level of bottom end; think it's probably all GAS anyway.

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='263605' date='Aug 16 2008, 02:44 PM']That and roll the tone right off and also play up on the finger board with plenty of meaty pad on the right hand fingers[/quote]

and look out for a 1x18 (or even 2x18!) cab - these sometimes pop up and are soften urprisingly cheap because they are a bit limited in use. Great for classic old school reggae sounds :)

[quote name='mike257' post='265589' date='Aug 19 2008, 03:39 PM']I'm sure there was a nice 5 string Stingray in the for sale section for £550. Can't go wrong with that :)[/quote]

Thanks Mike, I take it you mean the sunburst one that's currently on hold owned by Trev? Looks good, would need to change something on it; scratchplate or body, it's a bit clashy at the moment.

Before you go splashing out on a more expensive bass, may I suggest trying the moderately priced (and great value for money IMO) Ibanez ATK. You can pick them up for under £400 new, and it probably shouldn't be too hard to find somewhere to try one out in Bristol.

I'm definitely planning to pick one up for my next bass, as soon as I have the cash. All I can say is that I was shocked that a bass that price, played so well and sounded so sweet (to my ears anyway). Saying that, I play heavy rock, so your opinion may differ. I did however manage to get a nice bass-heavy Kyuss-esque tone from it (which may help for dub with some tweaking).

It may also be worth your while trying an octave pedal, if the DBX 120 doesn't work out for you. You can pick a Digitech Bass Synth Wah up for around £55 new. It has several effects on it, but it's worth that for the awesome sub-octave setting alone (all it's other settings are rather crap IMO). There's a fair few others too, but the BSW is the best value for money one I've tried. I really regret selling mine, the tradcking on it seemed flawless to me but I brought it for the envelope filter and at the time didn't require a sub-octaver. It'll definitely be making a reappearance on my board in the not too distant future.

EDIT: Oops I see you already have an OC-3, although it's still a fairly different beast to the BSW (IMO).

Edited by redzombie

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='265753' date='Aug 19 2008, 06:14 PM']Just get another Fender Jazz and have it strung BEAD... then the feel and string spacing is very nearly the same so you won't have as much trouble swapping between normal gigs and Dub gigs.[/quote]

Then Tim Commerford it up with a lefty neck too. Not cause that's what I have at all.