Why become a member? ×

Future generations musical ear worries

Mook

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1424884099' post='2701571']
It was exactly to do with the post in this thread that I quoted. Hence, I've no idea what you mean.
[/quote]
Had a quick look through the thread - can't see any post that remotely suggests "young people are crap". But, hey-ho, moving on...

With regards earphones: They are convenient, they take up very little space in your pocket... but that's about all they have going for them. I use a pair of Sennheisers that are considered to be pretty good - IMV they're ok, but I wouldn't call listening to music through them a[i] "[/i]particularly enjoyable experience".

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1424893228' post='2701691']

Had a quick look through the thread - can't see any post that remotely suggests "young people are crap". But, hey-ho, moving on...

With regards earphones: They are convenient, they take up very little space in your pocket... but that's about all they have going for them. I use a pair of Sennheisers that are considered to be pretty good - IMV they're ok, but I wouldn't call listening to music through them a[i] "[/i]particularly enjoyable experience".
[/quote]
But that's just you innit. I find it very enjoyable. But not if I want a dance, I crank up the hifi for that. Do you enjoy a dance?

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1424842376' post='2701007']
So we all grew up with access to good hi fi ? I certainly didn't , don't think B B king did either :)
[/quote]

I grew up with a Fidelity mono record player, jammed on 45rpm with a cheap autochanger like a basic jukebox.

Only one of my friends had a 'stereogram' - and he was only allowed to use it on a Sunday :)

My first attempt at getting a better sound was to find loads of old valve radios, which often had 6" or even 8" speakers in, and to wire them all up to my mono record player.

Unsurprisingly the whole setup eventually went bang (God knows what sort of ohmage it was running at!) during a the loud bit on Yours is No Disgrace :)

All my mates used to come round to listen to my primitive surround sound system and we'd sit listening to music and talking about it for hours.

I am absolutely certain the sound quality was atrocious but it didn't deter our love of music and quite a few of us were inspired to play.

I'm pretty sure the sound quality people are getting today through a set of basic Apple earbuds and an iPhone is far superior to what we were hearing.

[/quote]

Really good earphones can sound amazing. Fantastic clarity, lush tone and rich bass.

I wouldn't use them all the time but if I really want to have a quality listen to something new or just enjoy an old favourite I reach for my iPod and earbuds every time.

Like so many things, there's an element of 'you get what you pay for' but an iPod that isn't using massively compressed files and a set of high Ultimate Ears, or similar, buds will deliver a very good listening experience :)

[quote name='Mook' timestamp='1424169479' post='2693299']
Just getting a gripe off my chest......I have been playing bass for many a year now and like to think that my ear is good enough that I can get a close enough approximation of a bassline by listening to it. But I find that now whenever I need to learn a bass part I reach straight for the dodgy youtube clips of people playing the lines. Even if their wrong it gives me the general impression of the line and saves me doing the hard work of working it out by ear.

It is way too easy now and I can totally understand why people use them or tabs to learn bass parts, but this has to come at a price when you are
learning to play.

I have, what limited musical ear I have, because I had no choice but to sit down and pick out a bassline bit by bit which could take weeks. It's a shame that no-one really needs to do this anymore and it can only limit future generations musical ears which is so vital, not just for learning songs but for improvisation and last minute dep work.

It's a shame.......that's all.

Thanks for listening :)
[/quote]

I just don't think that has any truth at all.

If you have ever used a guitar teacher, she will show you how to play certain things. You will see where she puts her fingers and what it sounds like. The two go hand in glove. If you refused to look and used your "musical ears" alone - she'd go all WoW.

[/quote]
Hey ho indeed but whatever.