Why become a member? ×

Squier Bronco / Dusosonic / Mustang bass project

tommorichards

I just bought a bronco bass as i love the shape of it, and the old school 19 fret neck. And as im a fan of quirky basses, ive decided to tun it into a duosonic sort of bass, with roughly rickenbacker placement on the pickups. Basically, its going to have 2 bronco style pickups with a 3 way selector switch, and a matching headstock with a fender mustang bass logo on it.

Ive bought some ivory colour acrylic to make a new pickguard for it, so i can revert it to stock if i want to. Ive also bought another pickup for it, aged knobs, and a vinyl sheet for the heastock for colour. this is what ive bought:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221467209921?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=520489410293&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]

as i have had lots of issues with trying to paint my own stuff before, and that this will hopefully give the bass a quicker turnaround time.

so, here are some before pics of the bass, and the headstock which i intend to copy.

and the headstock which mine will hopefully look like

I will try and keep the thread updated.

Very cool mate, I seriously like these little basses, but feel they definitely need some tweaks to bring them up to speed. What you're proposing will certainly get you there too, and the matched headstock will make it all kinds of classy.
What pickups are you going to pop in there? The stock ones are strat guitar pups from what I've read!
Are you going to change the tuners from something a little more fitting too?

Eude

Well to be honest i was surprised by the sound of the stock pickup, i quite like it. So ive bought a second one to stick in and see how that goes, and yeah, they are 6 pole pickups haha. Re the tuners, ive been thinking on it and im not too sure as i think that these are closer together than on other basses, so standard upgrades might not fit.

Parts arrived today. New material for the scratchplate, second pickup, switch, new knobs and the vinyl cover for the headstock. Still working on getting the decal done though.

[attachment=184210:2015-02-18 11.27.11.jpg]

Although, the shade of red on the vinyl isnt quite right, its a bit lighter. I may have to try and find a darker shade or just accept it and jam it on there

Edited by tommorichards

As i like the look, ill be keeping the bridge. Doesnt look like anything i know of will drop straight in. I did notice the massive pickup route and was wondering what that was all about.

M@23, guitar pickups are what are already in there, but i also came across this interesting little creature on ebay....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151528186733?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• 2 weeks later...

Cut out the shape of the pickguard yesterday, but was busy doing the pickguard to my new rick bass, so didnt have time to do anything to it. I think ive also decided to spray the headstock as i want to get the colour matched and i think itll just work better.

pic of the pickguard

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, i got this to 95% completion over the weekend. Its now playable and badass. All thats left is the headstock to do. I dont like the current colour, so ill get a laser print of the colour to match the body with the headstock logo already printed onto it, then cover it in lacquer or clear vinyl. I really hate spraying.

So, cutting out the scratchplate, filing the edges to an angle:

Close up:

And halfway through drilling out the holes and pickup holes:

Pretty much there, doing the pickup screw holes:

I had to ensure that the holes for the screws were in line with the original plate as i had gotten the fit of the neck pocket cutout perfect and didnt want to mess it up. So there was a lot of filing, check, file a bitmore, check again etc. Im very happy with the fit now.

Next is doing the pikup routing and cavities in the body. As i dont have a router it was a drill press and chisels. Im also no very good at it but its all hidden so i didnt really care if it was abit messy......

rear pickup route:

Pickup selector switch and channel route:

And the neck pickup route. As i was chiseling out i went a bit too forcefully so took a chunk out of the neck pocket.... I was annoyed, but nothing to be done as the wood had been "squashed" so couldnt glue back into place:

Now i took the scratchplate in from my shed and began to stick everything onto it to get it up and running. I did this the following night as i ran out of time following the routing out i did.

This is the rough fit of the scratchplate to ensure it fitted, it did.

Then the wiring up of the electronics which i then had to tape into place to ensure that the ran inside of the channels on the bass. Need a few tweaks as i was doing it as the scratchplate kept not sitting flat with the body:

Everything wired up pre stringing. I tested the pickups with a screw driver to ensure that there was sound coming from it as id hate to have to take it all apart if there was one little niggle with it.

Edited by tommorichards

I strung it up then afterputting the hardware back onto the headstock. Did my usual thing of only putting one string on and testing it. It got me excited to put it all together and try it out. So here are the 95% complete pictures, with just the headstock to do properly left to go before im hapy with it 100%.

closeup:

Angled long shot/arty

And the full length shot.

Just a note to self really, get a damned router. It makes life so much easier. Ill post a soundclip and youtube video when i get a chance. The bridge pickup is pretty much in rick bridge placement, so sounds very close, and the neck is just as close to the neck which also sounds pretty good. Beefy, but not EB0 beefy. Middle selection, very scooped, quite ricky, but moreso. I like it. Fun bass to play around with.

That looks great :)

I have the same bass that I'm also thinking of modifying.
The stock pick up is fine, but it sounds too middy for me, I need more deep bass for reggae and dub.
Fitting a neck pick up is a great idea and I'd love to hear it with some heavy flatwound strings.

@davy Hmm, i see what youre thinking, but i like the 3 way toggle switch, and i dont really want it to get too complicated.

@mooseblaster Yeah, i like the single volume and tone control, I never blend the volumes on pickups. However, maybe in the future a cap in series with a pickup ala rickenbacker could be installed.

@redstriper The picups are fairly middy, even in the neck position, so i may get flats for it. These are the strings that i got it with, a little old and rusty, but "worn" haha. Probably will get flats on it when one breaks. Also, the second pickup i put in there is another bronco from ebay, which the seller has now run out of, though i was thinking of giving this a try if i were unhappy with the results http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371295502251?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2661&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Though the stock pickup is just a covered 6 pole guitar pickup.

I have Picato 45-105 flats on mine and they do sound deeper, considering the limits of the strat pick up.
I replaced the stock pick up with a Brandoni cool rails one, but it made no improvement to the sound so I put the stock one back in.
I've been thinking of trying a Seymour Duncan SCB-3 -
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/seymour_duncan_scpb3.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...uncan_scpb3.htm[/url]

The MINGS one you linked is much cheaper and might be worth a go, but I'm not sure if these types will fit easily in the existing space.

Edit:
Just realised the MINGS is £10.11 including shipping from Hong Kong! - how can they do that?

Edited by redstriper