Why become a member? ×

Compression pedal advice needed

Jag_Bassist

Hi guys,

im in the market for buying a new compressor pedal for my board. primarily i want it for super compressed sounds to use with a distortion and octave for synth style playing bit I would ideally like one that could be pulled back and used as a nice compressor for slap stuff in other projects.

any suggestions?

was thinking maybe the MXR bass compressor looked quite good but can only find people using it for slap stuff.

any input would be appreciated.

im not near any stores which stock any range of bass gear unfortunately.

I tried the MXR bass compressor; it's certainly comprehensive and wonderfully made.

But, I just found my Old Dyna Comp did what I wanted, so didn't bother.

It's great to have the amount of options to hand, but I usually set my compressor and leave it meaning I wouldn't get the use out of it.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1423986154' post='2691090']
If you can afford it, this is the one to go for. The MXR is good, but the Empress is better.
[/quote]

+1

The Empress is a great comp. ive had both that and the MXR and they are both very nice units, the Empress is a little more transparent and the has a couple of nice features the MXR doesn't, those being a 2:1 ratio which is i find great for always on use and the parallel compression feature which allows you to dial in some of your clean tone. I found the Empress to be worth the extra money but the MXR is still great and they both have metering to which nice.

I recently got to try a Cali76 and that is just ludicrously good but again not cheap and its frigging huge! Ive just ordered one and i expect it to knock my Empress off the board when i try them side by side (which i never thought would happen!). The empress is wonderfully versatile but if i had one complaint it may be a little clinical, the Cali was transparent but warm and rich, hard to put into words really.

This is worth a look, this guy knows his comps and has tons of reviews here... [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/"]http://www.ovnilab.com/[/url]

Edited by Bearfist

I've heard great things about the Cali. I'd look for a comp with control over attack and release though - I found the simpler ones hard to tweak enough. I've juts removed compression off most of the patches I use on my Eleven rack though as I'm finding they're not needed with my new bass - improvement in bass or technique maybe.

I use a Compulator on my board but I actually think the Diamond is a better, more 'organic', sounding unit. My choice of the Compulator is simply because I know James Demeter quite well and think he's a really nice bloke (and an amazing engineer) so wanted to support him a little by using one of his pedals :)