Why become a member? ×

Why did I ever agree to that

Nicko

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1423679753' post='2687901']
Why? Because I have an option that differes from others in this thread.

Is it only bass players that have this high and mighty attitude I wonder?

I understand some people hate certain songs, I have no issue with that, but why do some make blanket statements that something someone else likes is crap? What gives certain people the feeling that they know better than others?

If these songs weren't so popular we wouldn't have to play them. But then the general public are idiots and have no idea what they should like aren't?

No having a go at you personally, it just gets my goat when I'm told by someone better than me that what I like is wrong ;-)
[/quote]

Well said.

Songs that are still going after 30 or 40 years are still going for a reason! Cover band audiences generally want to hear the stuff they know and like. If you don't give them that then you won't be getting many repeat bookings.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1423819299' post='2689295']
I must say, I am slightly jealous of all the players who can choose which " good " songs to play.If we played the songs we liked, we would get hauled off and never get another booking. I was told years ago, you have to play what the people want to hear. We ignored this advice and played songs we liked. Over the years we gradually learned which songs to drop and which went down well. It's amazing, the rubbish that people want to hear again and again, especially at functions. What we have to remember is, some of these people don't get out much and don't have the " pleasure" of hearing these songs over and over and over, so they demand brown eyed girl and they dance to it and we have to put up with it.
[/quote]

And "well said" again.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423764924' post='2688822']
So then I had to as well... God it's a bland song, is it not??
[/quote]

Can't believe you hadn't heard it. Well, more to the point I can't believe you had passed up on a film that has 'pussy' in the title and this was the theme for 'Octopussy'. ;)

Edited by KevB

[quote name='Bassman Rich' timestamp='1424271372' post='2694578']
I cant get bold turned off!!! Help!

But whilst its there, also can't believe I've got this far throught the thread without 'summer of sixty bloody nine' coming up. My own personal 'no way jose' one.
[/quote]

There you go

I can confirm it does appear in the setlist/playlist discussion.

We've just introduced 'call me maybe' by some recent pop singer (no idea of her name).

It's good bubblegum crap and I shove a synth pedal on in the chorus.

A bit of my integrity may have died, but I'm having a laugh.
'I kissed a girl' by Katy Perry is also another outing for the synth pedal.