Why become a member? ×

Warwick make big changes.

throwoff

The change in manufacturing locations makes sense in some ways, but I'm disappointed that the brass frets have gone, and that they have limited the colour choices. I always really liked the fact that Warwick had a wide range of finishes that was the same across their entire range, rather than the boring and tiny selection of choices available on, for example, the flagship Fender models.

I guess my saving grace (in some ways) is that I'm a fan of the baseball-bat-neck-era 'Wicks, which limits my choice to second-hand instruments made between 2000 and 2008, but then at least there's a good choice of colours.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1423739771' post='2688407']
Interesting you think that as I thought the complete opposite about my fretted corvette. I found it cut through the mix very strongly when I was playing heavy music (and indeed it still does) but when I joined a more pop-rock band it was at times a bit too growly so I bought a Jazz for a more scaled back sound.Maybe it's a fretted/fretless thing.
[/quote]

My corvette is passive. Guessing yours has active pickups. The active ones I've heard, even fretless models, seem reasonably suited for slap bass, in that they had more in the oomph department and have the treble qualities important for slap.

To my ears, the passive fretless corvette (PFC) is more appropriate for playing anything that you may otherwise use a double-bass for, e.g., songs by the Stray Cats or Charles Mingus. The tone of the PFC is nothing like the sound of Mick Karn's fretless Wal. It's not really that type of up-front sound. The PFC is its own creature; I really like it, but it's different. It's hard to get rid of, but if you're more into a *lead* bass sound, I think you will find yourself craving an instrument that is closer to a Wal fretless. One thing that is fun with the PFC is to use a really heavy pick and dig in instead of using fingers because the bass is subdued so you can really attack the strings without sounding obnoxious.

By the way, I enjoyed writing "Lead Bass" ... very spinal tap. :yarr:

My Warwick also has the original synthetic nut, and now they have optional brass nuts. This should make at least some difference (at least when open strings are used).

In terms of the body wood, hardware, neck and attention to detail during assembly on the older German corvettes, they are just so well engineered and designed. I'd give those qualities a 10 out of 10. I don't even particularly like the aesthetics of the brown-stained bubinga finish -- so I'm not even swayed by the appearance of the bass -- but when holding one of those old corvettes, you really feel like you have something really nice in your hands. The first time I picked up an early model German corvette, I remember thinking the bass was under-priced by several thousand dollars when compared to one-off custom basses. What I wish the older passive fretless corvettes had is a magic mojo switch that could get the Wal sound without disturbing the double-bass tones the bass does so well.

Edited by Bronner

[quote name='tbonepete' timestamp='1423782554' post='2689105']
Just been over the "other"place, and it seems the new German pro series basses are put together in China......
[/quote]

They're not, but there's bound to be a whole load of confusion because they keep using similar names for different products. Now, I think I've got this right but it's not easy:

- The 2013 Pro Series was made in Korea.
- The 2014 'Warwick German Pro Series' basses were routed in Germany and assembled/finished in China.
- The new (2015) Pro Series are completely made in Germany, but some of the detail sanding and finishing is being shopped out to smaller workshops rather than the main Warwick factory.
- Then there's the 90s Proline and Pro-M basses...

[quote name='happynoj' timestamp='1423816355' post='2689256']
They're not, but there's bound to be a whole load of confusion because they keep using similar names for different products. Now, I think I've got this right but it's not easy:

- The 2013 Pro Series was made in Korea.
- The 2014 'Warwick German Pro Series' basses were routed in Germany and assembled/finished in China.
- The new (2015) Pro Series are completely made in Germany, but some of the detail sanding and finishing is being shopped out to smaller workshops rather than the main Warwick factory.
- Then there's the 90s Proline and Pro-M basses...
[/quote]
Hmmm, could I ask where you came by this information as I would have thought if it is the case then TB comments about China assembly should be updated by Warwick official who stated the China comment, this hasn't been corrected, and I'd have thought It was something to shout about . Interesting when adding this to Molans comment regarding the made in Germany bit in this thread. I'd like to think that German means German, but increasingly names become meaningless with regard to marketing and sales. Still, I'm sure they'll do whatever suits them to stay in the race. For me, I'm not interested in the pro series wherever it's made as the specs aren't what I'm looking for.
some years ago a well known brand of hand and gardening tools were selling forks, and spades amongst other lines that were said to be made in the UK. It transpires that one part came from India, another came from China, and the parts were joined together and labelled over here thus doing just enough to qualify under the letter of the law to be considered a UK product.
I've read the post and the link given below, and it still looks to me like that's what is going on. The word "made" as used in the link, and Manufacturers site, and the Talkbass thread do not categorically rule out China as the point of assembly, or indeed any other part of the process. I don't want to be bashing one brand specifically as this sort of cloudy boardroom marketing speak goes on all the time, and across all products and services too. I just want to know that I have all the information to hand in order to make an informed choice when parting (or not) with my money, which I have earned. As always this comes with the IMO, YMMV etc etc. And by way of completeness, I could well be wrong, and these Pro series basses are actually made in Gemany, in which case I'll be very happy for those who buy.

Thanks for putting me right :)

Cheers Pete

Edited by tbonepete

[quote name='tbonepete' timestamp='1423818014' post='2689273']
Hmmm, could I ask where you came by this information as I would have thought if it is the case then TB comments about China assembly should be updated by Warwick official who stated the China comment, this hasn't been corrected, and I'd have thought It was something to shout about . Interesting when adding this to Molans comment regarding the made in Germany bit in this thread. I'd like to think that German means German, but increasingly names become meaningless with regard to marketing and sales. Still, I'm sure they'll do whatever suits them to stay in the race. For me, I'm not interested in the pro series wherever it's made as the specs aren't what I'm looking for.

Thanks for putting me right :)

Cheers Pete
[/quote]

I got my info from the Warwick forum. Florin, the forum admin said:

"Pro Series are similar to the older Warwicks. Still made in Germany, woods not from the very best stock of course, but still... from the famous Warwick stock. In order to keep the prices low, some basic works like sanding and painting are outsourced in little shops in the area."

It might be that he's wrong, but Florin normally knows his stuff.

Post #15 [url="http://forum.warwick.de/showthread.php/20138-No-ordinary-German-instruments"]http://forum.warwick.de/showthread.php/20138-No-ordinary-German-instruments[/url]

• 3 months later...

I am a big Warwick fan, I admire the company ethos.

I have a Korean Pro Corvette and the quality is absolutely faultless. Korean's can build basses as well as Germans, Japanese, Americans, Mexicans...the last time I checked people are people, and If the design, QC, craftmanship and materials are right and the end product is good then what else matters?

I fancy a new German Pro Thumb (if they are on the radar).

• 5 months later...

Just acquired one of these beasties (in natural ash). Nice bass, just experimenting with tapewound strings at the moment.

[url="http://www.warwickbass.com/en/Warwick---Products--Instruments--Pro-Serie---Teambuilt--Pro-Serie---Teambuilt--Streamer--Streamer-CV--4-string--Pictures.html"]http://www.warwickba...--Pictures.html[/url]