Why become a member? ×

Marked wood

anaxcrosswords

This is something that appeared after I had a re-string / set-up a few weeks ago - I am definitely NOT apportioning any blame to the shop that did it the work. The bass is Ibanez SDGR500. A patch of bare wood has appeared as in the pic below. Being the consummate pro, I used some brown felt tip pens to cover it up but, as you can see, it's reverted to how it was. This area of the body doesn't get contacted by anything - it's well out of the reach of fingers and strings. Has anyone else had a similar issue, and what's the best treatment?

[attachment=183441:SAM_0672.JPG]

Interesting.
I think this has been a natural flaw and either occurred naturally or the shop somehow disturbed the flaw maybe by cleaning the bass.

It's in an odd place it would annoy me slightly, you can try a touch up pen or maybe some sort of dark wood wax rubbed in there.

The SR500BM basses all seem to do this.

When I worked in a music shop (up until April 2014) we had lots of them like this either before they left the shop (discounted) or after a few months of being sold.

We complained to Ibanez UK and to the Ibanez visitors from Japan several times.

The SR600 was a better idea, but they go dark over time in the same places the 500's flake.

Daft finish. Great basses though.

Edited by AndyTravis

While agree the mark might add provenance/character, sadly that’s only true up to the point of resale (not that it’ll be sold any time soon) – then it becomes a blemish, ergo an unwelcome discount.
BTW Andy’s right, it is a great bass, certainly in terms of playing; faster neck, and far lighter body than the Dean Edge I was using beforehand. It’s not all great though. As the tone pots have no markers I keep them all dead centre so there’s no awkward fiddling about on stage, but the A string has far less punch than the E. E/A on the Edge bass are more equal.

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1423566696' post='2686308']
Thanks for responses guys.
Andy's comment is interesting, makes me wonder if there's any mileage to asking the shop where I bought it if I have grounds for having the guitar replaced? If not, back to the felt tip pens...
[/quote]

If I'm honest we Only swapped one that marked, it was difficult to ascertain how some peoples basses marked up after a few weeks, and then others would come back in for restrings after 18 months without a blemish...ibanez helped to a point with one or two at first, but after a while they were less so.

In fairness the one we did replace at the start was sold on cheaply and the same punter was back in after a month 'looks like it wasn't faulty, The new one is the same at the same place...'

It's a shame as the SR506 was nearly on the cards as a decent midrange sixer.

Still, they sound and feel ace.

Edited by AndyTravis