Why become a member? ×

Little help needed with the rig i am getting

neptunehealer

Hi all i am upgrading my current half stack rig for a more louder option for bigger gigs and better sound.
I currently have a peavey sessionbass head and a laney 4x10 cab.

Anyhow i am buying blind without trying but i am considering aGK 1001 RB 11 head and a Hartke XL 4x10 with aluminium cones.

I play in a cover band from beatles to michael jackson and was wondering what tone i could anticipate from this rig and will it be suitable for this type of music?

ATB

Ben

[quote name='neptunehealer' post='260638' date='Aug 12 2008, 09:55 AM']Hi all i am upgrading my current half stack rig for a more louder option for bigger gigs and better sound.
I currently have a peavey sessionbass head and a laney 4x10 cab.
Anyhow i am buying blind without trying but i am considering aGK 1001 RB 11 head and a Hartke XL 4x10 with aluminium cones.[/quote]
Buying blind can lead to problems! Is Hartke a step forward? I've never played one, but the GK head gets lots of good reports so why don't you check out GK cabs as well? There is a GK NEO 212 cab in the BC for sale section that would probably do nicely.
In fact if you want to take 2 steps forward, there are Aguilar, EBS and Ampeg cabs for sale as well.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='260796' date='Aug 12 2008, 01:22 PM']But do they work better than GK cabs with a GK amp, or Hartke Cabs with Hartke amp?[/quote]

People seem to think there is some kind of synergy when you use amps and cabs of the same manufacturer together... I think that's total nonsense myself.

Historically GK amps and Hartke cabs seem to be a combination people like. Whether that's for you or not will depend on your ear. Try before you buy if you can. If you can't then read as many varying reviews as possible (until you can see the actual trend and can weed out the "I've only had it a week, but it's so good I'll never sell it" guys and the "I'm only playing this because Fieldy/Flea/Victor/Marcus does" guys). Some of us don't get the chance to try quality bass gear before making decisions...

That is a matter of preference, isn't it? :)

Any head can work with any cab (so long as the minimum load is respected) - it's all about what sound you're after... which is normally why people suggest you try out different combinations first.

I preferred the sound of a GK head with Hartke cabs than Hartke/Hartke and GK/GK. GK/GK sounded a little too aggressive and a little too clean while Hartke/Hartke sounded a little too... fuzzy. I didn't think the Hartke heads were clean enough.

GK heads = clean but growly; Hartke cabs = mid-rangey and clear. I think the combination balances out quite well.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='260796' date='Aug 12 2008, 01:22 PM']....But do they work better than GK cabs with a GK amp, or Hartke Cabs with Hartke amp?....[/quote]
Hi Neptunehealer, you certainly can successfully mix and match amps and cabs; an LM11 into Epifani/Bergantino cabs is an example, Thunderfunk and LM11 amps into Aguilar cabs is another, Alex Clabber's Avalon/QSC into Acme and now his own cabs is another and my Ampeg amp into Mesa Boogie cabs was a great combination that I found by accident. It is also possible to be disappointed by amps and cabs from the same manufacturer; Markbass has been mentioned in posts on BC. This is a very subjective area and you really should listen first, but it can be done.

Mix and match is great, I've had good results from a Peavey head and Marshall cabs, Trace amp and Marshall cabs, Trace amp and Hartke cab is a good one too. All down to taste though, there's no rules saying you have to have a complete rig :)

[quote name='neptunehealer' post='260638' date='Aug 12 2008, 09:55 AM']Anyhow i am buying blind without trying but i am considering aGK 1001 RB 11 head and a Hartke XL 4x10 with aluminium cones.[/quote]

Don't do that, make the pilgramage and spend a day trekking round shops and trying some kit out, otherwise your bound to get something that you're happy ith untill you hear someone leses rig.

FWIW Unlike most of the posts above I'm not a fan of the Hartke cabs, I think they look great, but didn't like the the sound when I've used them. I was very impressed with some Warwick backline that I used recently though.

Why don't you come along to the SE Bass Bash in Guildford, it's not too far from Reading. You can see a lot of amps and cabs up close and talk to their owners. That's if you can wait that long. Details below:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22439&hl=bash"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22439&hl=bash[/url]

[quote name='chris_b' post='261257' date='Aug 12 2008, 11:22 PM']Why don't you come along to the SE Bass Bash in Guildford, it's not too far from Reading. You can see a lot of amps and cabs up close and talk to their owners. That's if you can wait that long. Details below:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22439&hl=bash"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22439&hl=bash[/url][/quote]
Excellent idea! And much better than going to any shop because there'll be more variety and better 'customer service'.. :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='261257' date='Aug 12 2008, 11:22 PM']Why don't you come along to the SE Bass Bash in Guildford, it's not too far from Reading. You can see a lot of amps and cabs up close and talk to their owners. That's if you can wait that long. Details below:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22439&hl=bash"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22439&hl=bash[/url][/quote]

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='261294' date='Aug 13 2008, 12:25 AM']Excellent idea! And much better than going to any shop because there'll be more variety and better 'customer service'.. :)[/quote]
Yes yes yes. Do that and you'll fall in love with something, guaranteed :huh:

(Disclaimer - it may not be a bass rig, you may suddenly have a desire for a Shuker/Status/RIM/ACG/Vigier etc etc...)